External IDE support?

I’ve been using Defold for a bit now, and the experience is a bit… mixed.

On the one hand, I really enjoy the intuitive layout of the Defold IDE, and the design system is pretty good.

On the other hand, the text editing was… less than adequate (I’m saying this coming from IDEs like IntelliJ, AppCode, PyCharm, which IMO are far and away better than what Defold has right now).

Will there be support for external IDEs anytime soon (e.g. plugins for IntelliJ, Eclipse, etc.)?

(P.S. I’m not entirely sure what tag to place this under, so I’ve added the tag “Feature requests” to this post for now. If this is wrong, please notify me.)

There is support for external editors. File > Preferences… and then:

1 Like

We don’t have any external IDE plans in our roadmap.
Perhaps you can add missing feature requests in the editor 2 issues page?

What version of Defold is that? I don’t have that on my version (1.2.20, Mac OS X).

Also, I’m not just asking for the feature of external editors to open my code, I was asking for some plugin support in well-known IDEs, with various possible features (e.g. code completion, integrated design, etc.). Sorry for the confusion in my statement.

… though, not sure that qualifies as proper support :slight_smile:

Of course. :slight_smile:

I don’t think our team will put efforts into making a Defold plugin for IntelliJ, for instance that is better spent making the core editor better. But plugins like that sounds like fun community projects. :wink:

1 Like

The latest Editor 2. It has a much better code editor than editor 1, with code completion, snippets, integrated debugger and some other goodies.

If you want to set external editor in your version you have to set up an editor for the .script filetype:

Ooh, nice! Will have to try it out. It’s kind of a shame that there’s no official support down the line for this type of plugin, but I sort of expected this response anyway since there’s already the core editor. Thanks!

1 Like

If you miss specific features from your favorite IDE, feel free to submit a feature request. We might be able to implement what you want in the core editor.

I know only 2 text editor and one ide with defold api support:

6 Likes