Escape Pod - Gravity and Orbital Mechanics Game

After a conversation with friends about “flat earthers”, I wondered if it was possible to use Defold to simply demonstrate how gravity works in the context of planets and other celestial bodies. It turns out, with the help of Defold’s physics engine, it’s pretty straight forward!

After some further development, I’ve decided to make a simple game out of my gravity demo.

The aim of the game is to reach your homeworld in an escape pod fired from a base the other side of various planetary systems. The escape pod works as a projectile so you only control angle and power when firing off; you need to find the right tragectory that makes use of the other planets gravity along the way.

There will be other hazards to avoid or make use of such as black holes, white holes (which repel mass), moving asteroid belts and such.

Probably just targetting HTML5 for this.

8 Likes

Looks nice, and sounds like a niche of an idea. Good luck!

A demo of Escape Pod is up on itch.io

There are 10 levels to play through at the moment. It’s simple to play - there is a mini tutorial on level 1.

Have fun!

Play Demo in Browser

screen1

screen2

3 Likes

Nice! It’s getting pretty hard after a while (level 5). One thing I’d like to see improved is that if I’ve launched my escape pod and it went offscreen and waiting for a timeout then I’d like to be able to cancel the timeout and launch my next pod just by clicking on the launcher, instead of having to click the Retry button first.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention ESC also resets the level so I tend to have my thumb hovering over that key while playing!

1 Like