Engine building error? (SOLVED)

Every time i build my games, these errors pops out in console window with black debugging screen… I’ve been in the process of erasing the engine so many times and downloading it again but nothing… :sob: This isn’t a problem that I’ve been coding incorrectly. Even if I create a project and try to build it right away, I ALWAYS get the same result. I’m going crazy bout black screen coming up. If you need more information, I will provide it right away. Sorry everyone… :cry:

Does this happen in a completely blank project (the “Empty project” template)?

Does this happen in any of the tutorial projects (e.g. “Side scroller tutorial”)?

What are your system specs (operating system, graphics card, etc)?

Are all your drivers up to date?

Can you provide the editor logs, if any?

2 Likes

Hi @Baba_Mama ! Please provide the information I asked for here: Editor error? - #6 by britzl

Note that there are no errors in the screenshot you showed. There are a number of warnings and then some log output from the engine. This is expected. Also note that there is no logging at all in a release build of your game.

Is your game actually crashing when you start it? Which is the “black screen” you are referring to? The one in the screenshot?

Build time 2021-07-07T08:23:30.403800
Defold channel editor-alpha
Defold editor sha 92b6b2823b819707ddfa075f1fc5a8774a011f1a
Defold engine sha 1f5712609c345f870b691a85d611d4825d22a718
Defold version 1.2.184
GPU Intel(R) UHD Graphics
GPU Driver 4.5.0 - Build 26.20.100.7870
Java version 11.0.1+13
OS arch amd64
OS name Windows 10
OS version 10.0
Here it is! And this was black screen what I referred... No matter what object I put in it, I can't see it at all.

It actually appears every templates and every tutorial projects… Thanks again!

There are actually no errors there. There are a few warnings, and those should not make a difference.

1 Like

I have no idea what I’ve done wrong… I just downloaded the engine and ran it right away. :joy: It’s strange that all the black screens come out including the official tutorial project. In addition, if I build a plain project with nothing added, only a black screen comes out. But for me, this wasn’t the only problem with this version of the engine. It’s been like that for a long time, so I’ve been delaying using this engine…

Hmm, ok, so is graphics related maybe…

What if you try Project->Build HTML5? DOES THE HTML5 build generate any output?

What if you try an example that plays sound? Do you hear anything?

1 Like

I tried building in HTML5, but it generates same result… But when I tried sample game(roids sample game) building, I could hear sounds and see scores but not rocket sprites. Like this.

What does the web console say ?

Web console was not accessible with the message ‘Localhost could not be loaded due to a long-running script’, and I could check the web console after stop running scripts, there was no error too…

Ok, interesting. It actually does render something. Could you please try another project? Like the platformer template project which you can start from the editor welcome screen.

All right, there’s something weird going on. First, when I built the platformer template project, I could see that all game systems, including following cameras, worked well except for the character sprite being invisible. And next, the Linker sample game works perfectly, strangely flawless. The last project I tried was the rpg sample project, which on the contrary, was character sprite moving around well but not showing the background.

I wonder if this is related to what @Pawel was seeing with some images in a texture not rendering properly on Windows?

2 Likes

I guess this phenomenon is pretty rare. Maybe it’s a problem with my computer or something… I can’t develop the game at all cuz of this problem. It’s frustrating and weird! :sob: But thank you for trying to help me constantly!

I agree, it could be! An only workaround I found out for this, is to use as few atlases as possible, ideally one :confused: It is happening across all projects on Windows and those same projects are working on HTML5 for example.

1 Like

omggg… should i rather give up?

Hello, here’s the new news! Almost discouraged, giving up on using this engine, I think I’ve got a clue. When I try to build a yellow background, only the black screen comes out right after the execution. But when I resized the window, I could see that it was definitely playing from some boundaries. Maybe is it a problem with the resolution?

1 Like

I checked that this happens when I build all the games. The background of the rpg sample is also not visible immediately after build, but when I resize window size, it reveals the background at certain boundaries. But we can’t always resize windows to play… I really want to know the cause of this problem. :joy:

1 Like

It is indeed a good find!
However, I don’t think I’ve seen this behavior before though, so I’m not sure what to think.

it reveals the background at certain boundaries

Do you mean that it becomes black again, even after resizing?