Editor bug [writing code]

Hello. Today we decided to get acquainted with Defold for our new project, but we encountered such an issue. While writing this code go.set(url, "velocity") the editor hangs and the memory usage increases to 12GB. This behavior happens every time with this code. The video shows how it happens.

Defold

• Version: 1.7.0

Platforms

• Platforms: Windows]

1 Like

Thank you for reporting this. Could you please also post this as a bug report GitHub?

I have published this on GitHub. I noticed that the communication between the editor and the engine is not reliable; it has enough problems. Perhaps in the future, we should consider switching from Java to C# for the editor. Message exchange between objects is also unreliable, and from release to release, nothing significantly changes. For a game that is slightly more complex than ‘flappy bird,’ we need to write our own wrappers and layers in Lua modules. We’re curious to see what will come out of this. Thank you.

1 Like

I don’t recognize this issue from before.
Perhaps you can elaborate?

Message exchange between objects is also unreliable, and from release to release, nothing significantly changes

Again, this is not something I’ve heard before.
Can you describe the issue in more detail?

2 Likes

Apologies. I jumped to conclusions. After reviewing the source code, I had a different understanding of the communication core-Lua-editor.

I hope you do realise that writing an editor is a massive undertaking which takes years to complete. We will not switch from Java to C#. It will not solve any problems.

I’m curious to learn more about this. Could you please give an example?

2 Likes
  1. Regarding the editor and development time, I agree with you, but I disagree that C# won’t change the situation.
  2. At the moment, we are studying and trying out Defold. At the same time, we are writing accompanying documentation, and as soon as we have enough information, I will provide it.