Dmengine won't install on Android 11

Hi, defold newbie here… I am trying to install the dmengine on my new Samsung S6 Lite running Android 11. I keep getting the dreaded “App not installed” error. After trying all the standard steps to resolve this issue, I hooked it up to my mac and looked at the logs via adb. and found this:

“No signature found in package of version 2 or newer for package com.defold.dmengine”

Some more googling of the error messages revealed that this apk is not signed properly for Android 11, it is not using V2 signature. Or at least it appears that way.

Is there a fix for this somewhere?

Thanks!

Phil

I have lots of Defold apps installed on Android 11.
Try the lastest version of dmengine.

I am using the most recent version from the downloads page

you are right. The lastest version doesn’t work.
But v1.2.184 works fine on Android 11.

Interesting! We’ll look into this.

@pjsmith67 what you can do in the meantime is to open an empty Defold project and bundle this as a Debug build and install. It will work in the same way as the prebuilt dmengine.apk but it will for sure install on Android 11.

Created issue: Pre-built dmengine.apk does not install on Android 11 · Issue #5979 · defold/defold · GitHub

I got it.
Solution: (choose one)
1, set targetSdkVersion < 30 in Manifest (29 is fine);
2, using V2 signature.

2 Likes

I got it working. Thanks!

But now the debugger won’t connect. Even tried it on my older android phone.

clojure.lang.ExceptionInfo: Failed to connect to debugger on 192.168.1.6:8172
at editor.debugging.mobdebug$connect_BANG_$fn__43117.invoke(mobdebug.clj:339)
at clojure.lang.AFn.run(AFn.java:22)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

And you bundled a debug build?

Yes. And. I tried it using the prebuilt dmengine on my older android phone and got the same error.