The transitioning to Editor 2 is coming to an end. We feel that Editor 2 is on par with, or better than, Editor 1 and has been for quite a while, and the vast majority of our users have already switched. Therefore we feel it is time to discontinue the old Editor 1*.
(* We use the names “Editor 1” and “Editor 2” to separate between the two editor frontends. The engine versions are the same between the two so Defold 1.2.128 can be run with both “Editor 1” and “Editor 2”, for instance)
How to switch to the new editor
- Make sure that you sync your projects so that all your local changes are uploaded to the Defold cloud git servers.
- Download and install the new editor.
- Start the editor and select “Import project”.
- After logging in, select your project from the list and a directory where your local copy will be stored.
- When the editor has opened the project, select Build and run.
DONE! You can now continue working with your game in the new editor and sync your changes as usual. The interface of the editor is a bit different but should not take long to get used to.
What can possibly go wrong?
If your project contains files that has not been edited in a while, chances are that we have updated the file format for that file type with new fields. Opening an old project in Editor 2 and saving it (Editor 2 saves all project files) may therefore create lots of diffs even though you do no edits. This is normal.
We promise 100% compatibility between the editors so you are able to work with them in parallell. If you hit a bug where your project opens and works in Editor 1 but not in Editor 2, file a bug immediately. You can also post on the forum and we will help you.
- Editor 2 is currently behind Editor 1 when it comes to GUI templates not respecting layouts. See this issue for more information: https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues/1124
But I still see old stuff on the site
Revising all documentation takes time but will certainly be done. You can help make the required updates faster by:
- Select the text that should be changed and press the “Have a suggestion?” button at the bottom right corner in the browser.
- Post pull requests to our Github documentation repo.