Descend - A 2d top down multiplayer

DESCEND - A stylized fast pace top-down multiplayer shooter

Genre/Story/Mechanics Summary:

Two teams of master wizards and witches descend into an ancient arcane battleground using magic spells and strategy to fight for control over the Magna stone. The Magna stone grants the beholder ultimate power at the cost of utter weakness so the team beholding the stone must protect the beholder or lose the stone to the other team.

Design Pillars:

1. Mayhem
  2. Multiplayer
  3. Style

Features:

1. Rich maps with hidden features.
  2. Magna stone grants the beholder the ability to insta-kill whoever they hit but they are also extremely vulnerable to certain types of attack.

Interface:

• Mouse And Keyboard Controls
  • Gamepad

Art Style:

Launch Critera:

Platform: Steam/Windows/Mac.
Audience: 16+/All Genders.

Test Images:

Castle Wall

13 Likes

Prototype Keymap

2 Likes

Prototype - Minimal Viable Product

Spent some time create a minimal viable product just to see if this game will be enjoyable to play. here is the Playable HTML5 Prototype id very much appreciate any and all feedback here and maybe some suggestions on what I can do to improve gameplay.

Just a note

The final game will be an online multiplayer so I represent that with a simple ai at the moment so just use your imagination for the meantime.

Photos

2 Likes

I noticed that you always fire in the direction you’re facing. I guess this is by design? At first I expected movement and rotation with WASD and free aim and fire using mouse, but then I rechecked your previous post on the control scheme and realised that you’re always firing in direction of movement.

1 Like

Awesome to see someone else doing something similar to us. We’re creating a similar online game as well. Will follow with interest. Please shout if you get stuck on some points and I might have struggled in the same places :slight_smile:

/A

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your feedback, it was less by design and more just fell into place naturaly, do you feel like the movement could be improved? Anything I can do to make it feel more natural and intuitive?

I appreciate the support, thank you very much. Il be sure to seek you out when I eventually hit a roadblock haha.

Well, I mean, it’s a design decision. If you’ve decided that you can only shoot in the direction of travel then I guess it’s good.

Another thing I noticed is that player is moving in the direction of the mouse pointer, but if I don’t move the mouse the player will eventually reach the mouse pointer position and start rotating on the spot like crazy. I need to constantly move the mouse to keep the player moving.

I think for the final game, I’d prefer your idea for the movement, it wasn’t really a design choice so it feels unnatural, as for the crazy movement il change that also, thanks for the feedback.

1 Like