DefPro - Accessing profiler data in Lua

Defold comes with a built in profiler that can be accessed from within a running Defold game as a visual profiler. The engine also comes with a built in webserver that can be used to, among other things, access profiler data from a browser. This is a powerful way of inspecting the performance and different metrics of a running Defold game.

The visual profiler

The web profiler

The web and visual profilers covers all use cases except one: What if you wish to be able to programmatically access the profiler data? One use case for this would be to run automated tests or a bot of some kind while pulling metrics such as FPS and drawcalls from the engine and plot these values over time or maybe even fail builds if draw calls or some other metric go above/below a certain threshold.

We have a ticket in JIRA to get profiler data as a Lua table (DEF-1900 - Get profiler values as a Lua table) but it has so far not been given a very high priority. This is after all something that is nice to have and not critical bug so I would not expect to see this in a Defold release anytime soon. Now, the need for something like this has recently been increased since a project I’ve been working on has shown signs of performance issues. When inspecting the game using the web profiler it showed a huge number of draw calls which obviously will have a great impact on performance on low end devices. I gave this some further though and through a stroke of genius (or moment of divine clarity?) I came up with the idea to use the same method as the web profile and pull profiler data from the engine. Kind of obvious once you think of it, right? So, without further ado I present the DefPro library project!

The DefPro project is a Defold library project that can either be included in a running Defold game and used to pull profiler data from the game itself (or in theory another running Defold engine) and either process it and send it somewhere else or display it in some way, perhaps as a tiny dashboard showing only the metrics you care about. The project can also be used from the command line to pull profiler data to integrate in a build process or automated test suite. Check out the project page on GitHub to learn more and try it yourself!

Show metrics inside your game

Show metrics in the terminal

15 Likes

DefPro has been broken ever since the new resource profiler was added, but since no one seems to be using DefPro (not even me) it has gone unnoticed until now.

I’ve released a new version that supports the new format as well as parses and returns game objects and resources. An example can be seen here:

It would be pretty cool to create a really nice live view of the current scene graph as a library project for anyone to drop into their project. Much like the hierarchy view in Unity for instance.

8 Likes

I was working on a video about profiling in Defold (check youtube.com/defoldvideos soon) and thought it makes sense to both up this topic a put down a one liner for web profiler vs DefPro.

So basically DefPro is a way to get the same data the web profiler gets from the game runtime, but visualise it not on the web page, but wherever the user wants.

1 Like