Defold won't finish launching

Hi there! I was going to try and have some fun with this engine, I’m not a programmer, but I like learning about software and I’m thinking about making some sort of 2D game, text heavy, but with some other mechanics. The thing is that I can’t find the way to launch the program at all! I’ve had it installed in several different directories, and it looks like it gets stuck in the very same place every time (the splash screen at the start). I’ve uninstalled Java and have updated my nVIDIA drivers, and have close every other app in my pc. I0ve run Defold as an admin too. Nothing works. I’m running Defold under Windows 10.

Could anyone help? Thanks .

Some things to check:

• Install/unzip it somewhere in your user home directory (perhaps on your desktop)
  • Try to Run as Administrator (ah you’ve tried that already!)
  • Try to launch Defold.exe from a command prompt to see what output it gives (this should give you some valuable info)
  • Check that there is no anti-virus blocking Defold
  • You should not have to uninstall Java. Defold comes packaged with its own Java version.
1 Like

-Tried installing it in my users folders. Didn’t work. I don’t know if it will work in my desktop because anything that I actually place there rarely works (my windows is a bit messed, I think). But I’ll try.
-Run as admin, didn’t work, yeah :/.
-I’m going and try running it by command. I don’t know if it will make any difference, but trying is not going to hurt. I’ll post any feedback doing that gives me.
-I don’t have any anti-virus software installed, unless Windows Security is giving me some trouble and it’s not notifying me those issues. I’ll try running Defold without it activated.
-I unninstalled Java because I wasn’t sure it would cause any incompatibilities in between. Guess I can install it again if it’s safe. Thanks.
I’ll report any news.
Could it be because my SO language is Spanish? It does changes the folder’s names.

This is something to look into then if all else fails.

Ok!

It will make a difference since you will get all of the startup logging from the editor and it might show an error.

Yes, maybe. Could you give an example of what the path looks like where Defold us unzipped? Any characters with accents?

One more thing to check is if the editor has written anything to the editor log file:

1 Like

Well, things that I’ve already tried and can be crossed out.

• Deactivated Windows Security and Windows Firewall and tried to run Defold. Didn’t work.
  • Unzipped the folder in the desktop. Surprisingly, it runs, but it gets stuck in the same place.

I’ll try by command next.

Yes, maybe. Could you give an example of what the path looks like where Defold us unzipped? Any characters with accents?

Well, right now it looks like this screencap, which translates for the system as: C:\Program Files (x86)\Defold (and that’s allrigh, I think).

Thanks!

I’ll look into the editor as well.
If everything fails, well, I guess I’ll wait until next time I format my pc.

What if you place it under “C:\Defold” ?

1 Like

Tried it now, too. No changes.

I tried opening Defold.exe through Command Prompt. It’s still stuck and it doesn’t show anything in the black screen either.

I’ve looked into that edit log stuff. There’re two files generated in that folder: one for yesterday, one for today. Tried opening them with my notebook and there’s a ton of info there. I can’t understand a thing, but I suspect this line is important:

2021-08-20 00:53:18.719 2887 [Thread-4] ERROR com.defold.editor.Start - failed to extract native libs

And afterwards, there’s a string of lines that have something to do with java.
The whole sequence repeats by what I guess is every attempt at opening Defold.

Thanks. Can you upload/attach the whole log here please?

2 Likes

Forum doesn’t allow this extension, but here’s a link: editor2.2021-08-20.log - Google Drive

Looking through the forum for “AccessBridge”, I found this solution:

2 Likes

I’m not, unless it counts incressing Widows own zoom over text and buttons.

But did you check for the hidden file that was mentioned in the link?

2 Likes

I’m at home again and I’ve just looked into it. Apparently, I have that file there, yeah. Not sure if it’s some thing I’ve activated or not, because I may have activated some option long ago for some help and just can’t remember when or why. I have very poor eyesight, so I don’t know if it’s a good idea deleting it. I’ll try renaming it and see what happens.

Edit: well, it works now! So… I can’t delete this file out of fear, but I need it gone if I want to use Defold. This is going to be fun.
Edit 2: I rebooted my PC, everything seems the same and the file is still renamed. So I guess this fixes the issue for good. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks ! You saved my time.