Defold Typewriter

Hello everyone,

Many RPGs and other genres of games use a scrolling textbox to display dialog. This is a very common desire for game developers, so I decided to create dtypewriter to handle this task.

Defold Typewriter provides text scrolling and styling in a Defold game engine project. It uses HTML-style markup for specifying character colors, speeds, new lines, new paragraphs, etc. New features are easy to add, so I expect this extension to grow as I continue using it in my own projects.

Here is an example of how the above gif was formatted with raw text:

"Just like the classic RPG dialog systems, <color=green>dtypewriter<color=default> is a fantastic dialog solution!<paragraph>It can do all kinds of neat things, like <color=green>colors<color=default>, <speed=3>speeds<speed=default>, and <speed=instant>instant text display<speed=default>, among other things!"

Check it out here:

Thank you for reading and Happy Defolding!

23 Likes

This is very nice. Would be a great addition to the asset portal. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

No problem, thank you. I do put my stuff on the asset portal, but it takes a while because the GitHub pull request needs to be approved. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, this library looks perfect for what I want to do! I’ve added it into my project and it’s sending all the start, type messages etc but not doing anything on the screen, and I’m not quite sure where I’ve gone wrong. Would it be possible to provide an example of working code I could look over?

1 Like

Sure, I will include an example project in the repo later this week.

4 Likes

Thanks so much!

I found the issue, turns out I just forgot to change the default colour so the text was transparent. Works great!

1 Like

Awesome. I will make an update to set defaults, I suppose that would be a good idea.

I will still upload an example project, been extremely busy the past few weeks. Sorry about that.

1 Like