Defold Tilemap Animator

Hello! This is my first contribution to the Defold workspace and my first post to the forums.

I’ve been developing ideas on and off for a few weeks. One of the issues I ran into was the fact that Defold doesn’t support runtime tile animations. Most of the games that I love to play now and loved to play growing up boasted beautiful tilemap scenes with moving parts all over the place, so I couldn’t resist attempting to add this feature into my own ideas.

Defold Tilemap Animator (DTA) is a very simple Lua module that allows you to animate your tilemaps with just a single function call–and some additional animation group information, but that part is pretty fun so I don’t count it as a burden!

It can be improved substantially with new features, however it is in a workable state and able to be used with confidence in any Defold project. I will continue to update it in the future, so please let me hear your ideas if you’re interested.

This project should be on the Asset Portal soon, if it gets approved.

12 Likes

Sounds like a good module, thanks! Yet the link in github to the html5 example is not working.
http://planksoftware.com/html/defold_tilemap_automator.html

1 Like

Approved! It should show up in the Asset Portal in a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Yes, I will fix this issue once I draft a more interesting example project and implement a couple new features.

0 Likes

Thank you! I will submit cover art for the asset soon.

1 Like

Full version 1.0 has been released. It now supports four loop playbacks:

1. “loop_forward”
  2. “loop_backward”
  3. “loop_pingpong”
  4. “loop_corolla”

And four on-demand playbacks:

1. “once_forward”
  2. “once_backward”
  3. “once_pingpong”
  4. “once_corolla”

On-demand playbacks are the bread and butter of DTA: they allow you to programmatically run animations on any tile assigned with a “once_” playback. This can be used to display interactive visual effects on a tilemap, such as the player stepping through grass or chopping down a tree. I’m pleased to see these playbacks working properly!

4 Likes