Defold is laggy and slow on Void Linux

Peek 2023-08-06 20-46

As the title says, Defold is very slow on my computer, everything else works normally, except for Godot it crashes all the times.
I am on Void Linux latest build

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM]
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: Mesa (0x1002)
    Device: AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.50.0 / 6.3.13_1, LLVM 15.0.7) (0x6779)
    Version: 23.1.3
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 2048MB
    Unified memory: no
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 4.5
    Max compat profile version: 4.5
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.1

I really need this engine in order to start a project with my friend, any help is appreciate, thanks!

My guess is that it is driver related somehow. Are your drivers up to date?

1 Like

Yes, I have used the best suited drivers for this card, it’s true the drivers of this card have some problems as the Godot team said, but everything else works normally, even compiling and running games works flawlessly I just tested the PBR example and there are no problems

Did you try anything mentioned in the linked article, specifically forcing the opengl version and/or forcing software renderer? You can launch with environment variables from console:

ex:

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1 ./Defold
MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.6 ./Defold
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 ./Defold

Source:

1 Like

I run on Ubuntu 22 works well. Sometimes I have to uninstall then re-install the graphics driver, I also need to use the proprietary Nvidia driver.

2 Likes

Another thought: Do you use any DPI scaling like fractional DPI scales? I think there are performance issues with that on X11 vs Wayland, but I’m new to the linux world (troubleshooting my own issues recently). I think the AMD “drivers” are compiled into the kernel on most/all distros, as AMD contributes their own source code (I read this somewhere). nVidia requires an external proprietary binary blob (driver).

Maybe check your display settings and set resolution and scaling to defaults for testing. If your DPI scaling is already set to 100%, then never mind this thought.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies, but I have tried all the above mentioned options, and I still get the same result, one thing I noticed is when I resize the window until the draw area is really small, the latency decreases a bit…
I think it’s having a hard time rendering all these pixels, I also feel like it’s running on software rendering, I have no idea how JavaFX works.
Tomorrow I will try in windows and see if I get the same thing.
Peek 2023-08-07 02-36

1 Like

In case anyone is reading this post and have a similar problem, I bought another GPU and installed the proprietary drivers, the lag became less noticeable but still existent, the thing is, Java virtualization needs a lot of processing, so it’s better to have a fast CPU in order to eliminate all the UI lag from Java FX

1 Like