Defold Engine Tutorial Series

Hello everyone, I’m Mike from the site GameFromScratch and I’ve slowly been creating a tutorial series for working with the Defold Engine and I figured I would share it here. Like all recent tutorials on GFS I’ve done both text and video versions, and I attempt to go into enough depth that users of any level should be able to follow along.

The series homepage is here.

Right now tutorials include:

• Getting Started
  • App Basics
  • Sprites and Animation
  • Input, Scripting and Messages
  • Sound and Musics
  • Tilemap

Physics should be next. I didn’t cover Lua programming in this tutorial although I did a Lua 101 video series in the past that should get anyone up and running with enough Lua knowledge to follow along.

Let me know what you think and what you’d like to see covered. Cheers.

20 Likes

Nice work, I like your tutorials, it’s great that you offer them in both video & text so please keep it up!

2 Likes

Excellent stuff Mike! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Mike, amazing work! Very pedagogical.

1 Like

Added a new tutorial (text and video), this one covering Physics.

4 Likes

After a pretty seriously long pause I realized there was a bit of a hole in my tutorials… UI programming. So I’ve done a tutorial on that. Video version coming soon.

I think that’s about it for the nuts and bolts tutorials, I’m thinking about a mini series to end it on creating a simple complete game. Is there interest? Defold have done a pretty excellent job on doing complete game tutorials so it simply may not be needed.

8 Likes

I would say that there definitely is interest. That’s a fairly reoccurring feedback we get—“more tutorials”, but the team rarely can find time to do it. So we’d love to to see more, and we’d gladly feature good external tutorials we see.

3 Likes

Yes Please

2 Likes