Defold doesn't clean up old versions upon update

More of a PSA than anything; I was cleaning up my computer’s drive the other day and realized that defold had accumulated over 4gigs of junk files (over the course of a little under a year) in:
Drive:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Defold/Unpack

From what I can tell, each directory in this folder corresponds to past updates of Defold, and the most recently accessed directory is the current version you’re actually using. I deleted all but the most recently modified one and everything’s been working fine for a couple days so I think my assessment is correct.

Just a heads-up for anyone who could be running low on disc space and has no reason to keep old versions of the engine around. And to the devs, it might be good to at least have an option to just automatically clean up old versions upon updating, especially considering one of Defold’s draws is its lightweight installation. Obviously a much lower priority than any actual engine/editor features though.

5 Likes

Oh almost 4 gb here as well lmao
thanks

1 Like

Perhaps, but it is still a pretty big deal. I’ll look into it

4 Likes

Thanks for looking into it!

Created ticket and will look into a fix soon: The editor does not clean up old version on update · Issue #5910 · defold/defold · GitHub

2 Likes