Defold 1.3.7 BETA

Thanks, have done a quick check and all looks good.

3 Likes

clip test.zip (2.9 MB)
Clipping in a gui seems not to be working, its ok in the editor but not when you do a build. Thanks.

OSX 10.13.6

2 Likes

Thanks! Fixed the issue, waiting for builds :+1:

5 Likes

Alright, the beta has been built. Please test again when you can :+1:

3 Likes

That’s working nicely, thank you.

2 Likes

This release is fantastic! Thanks, the Defold team!

I’m going to test everything, and for the first, I decided to upgrade Pointer Lock (github, forum topic, html5 demo) to the latest version of Defold. And, the new mouse locking functionality works fine! So, from that point of time Pointer Lock becomes a demo project of how to implement mouse cursor locking in your Defold game.

7 Likes

gltf test.zip (1.2 MB)
I exported an fbx with Blender to gltf. In the Editor the model looks a lot bigger and also rotated than in the build. I wonder what happened.

In Defold we use 1unit = 1meter.
And, in the Blender export you need to check the option +Y Up, since that’s what Defold uses.

1 Like

I do wonder if we perhaps should add a short guide on how to import models from Blender etc?

2 Likes

What confuses me is the difference in size of the model in the editor and when I do Build.

Well, not sure what size you wanted, but selecting a few vertices on the edge, shows you the approximate extents of the mesh:

Perhaps there are some import options when importing it from fbx?
Or, you can scale it in Blender?
Or, you can scale the model component in Defold?

I’ve not explained myself well, in the Defold editor the model is massive compared to the ball, cube and quad. When I do a CMD B to build the model is tiny and rotated. Thats whats confusing me.

1 Like

Thanks, that does seem a bit weird. I’m investigating now.

1 Like

Alright, so it’s an issue in the editor, where we don’t seem to respect the scale of the models (the scale of that mesh is 0.01 which take the vertices back into the meter scale):
In the engine, it looks correct:

5 Likes

Thanks, I set the scale in blender to 1.0 and also the X rotation from 90 to 0 and it looks like I expected. Thats good enough for me.

1 Like

The beta has now been updated with a fix for the model scaling problem in the editor.

7 Likes

The most recent update seems to have broken my lighting system. I suspect it has to do with the fix of the persistent render state bug, but I’m a little confused because the way my project broke seems more like an issue with viewports or render target size or something.

Basically, the light occlusions and consequently shadows and lights themselves are drawn at the wrong scale and/or position, but I’m having a hard time figuring out exactly how they’re off. Rendering is still something I’m barely getting the grasp of, and I’m not sure if this is something unintended that just broke (I wasn’t having this issue before this release), or if my code was just being held together by the persistent state bug before.

Engine SHA1: f0ad06a2f1fbf0e9cbddbf96162a75bc006d84bb

I’m gonna keep digging and try to trace back exactly what the renderer’s state would have been when drawing my shadow occluders, lights, etc. back when it was inheriting a bunch of states from previous render targets and draw calls, but I was curious what exactly is implicated in this reset; is it just things like render.enable/disable_state(), blend function, depth and stencil masks? Or viewports, projections, sizes, etc. as well?

Anyway thank you to anyone who can help.

cornedbeer: Would you be able to share the project with me so I can take a look? I don’t think it’s related to the render state reset / tracking, the values tracked are related to our internal “render object” and not the entire rendering state. The RO state is just a small subset of the features, mostly some stencil parameters and blending state, which shouldn’t affect your render targets :thinking: Although I can’t find anything else related to rendering we could have changed, did you update from 1.3.6?

Thanks for helping me out, Jhonny. I’m sending you the last stable version of my project now, that I know was working in 1.3.6. I know for sure I was on 1.3.6 already because I posted about a table serialization bug the first release introduced, prior to it being patched.

I figured out that my issue was caused by a pretty messy fragment shader I need to rework. Still not sure why this update caused the issue to surface, but I think it’s an issue with the way I was doing things and not any issue with the engine.