Defold 1.3.7 BETA

The beta has now been updated with a fix for the model scaling problem in the editor.

7 Likes

The most recent update seems to have broken my lighting system. I suspect it has to do with the fix of the persistent render state bug, but Iā€™m a little confused because the way my project broke seems more like an issue with viewports or render target size or something.

Basically, the light occlusions and consequently shadows and lights themselves are drawn at the wrong scale and/or position, but Iā€™m having a hard time figuring out exactly how theyā€™re off. Rendering is still something Iā€™m barely getting the grasp of, and Iā€™m not sure if this is something unintended that just broke (I wasnā€™t having this issue before this release), or if my code was just being held together by the persistent state bug before.

Engine SHA1: f0ad06a2f1fbf0e9cbddbf96162a75bc006d84bb

Iā€™m gonna keep digging and try to trace back exactly what the rendererā€™s state would have been when drawing my shadow occluders, lights, etc. back when it was inheriting a bunch of states from previous render targets and draw calls, but I was curious what exactly is implicated in this reset; is it just things like render.enable/disable_state(), blend function, depth and stencil masks? Or viewports, projections, sizes, etc. as well?

Anyway thank you to anyone who can help.

cornedbeer: Would you be able to share the project with me so I can take a look? I donā€™t think itā€™s related to the render state reset / tracking, the values tracked are related to our internal ā€œrender objectā€ and not the entire rendering state. The RO state is just a small subset of the features, mostly some stencil parameters and blending state, which shouldnā€™t affect your render targets :thinking: Although I canā€™t find anything else related to rendering we could have changed, did you update from 1.3.6?

Thanks for helping me out, Jhonny. Iā€™m sending you the last stable version of my project now, that I know was working in 1.3.6. I know for sure I was on 1.3.6 already because I posted about a table serialization bug the first release introduced, prior to it being patched.

I figured out that my issue was caused by a pretty messy fragment shader I need to rework. Still not sure why this update caused the issue to surface, but I think itā€™s an issue with the way I was doing things and not any issue with the engine.

I set the scale in blender to 1.0 and also the X rotation from 90 to 0 and it looks like I expected.