Defold 1.3.1 BETA

Maybe, that is the point of the issue: each collection has its own accumulated time. Proxied collection starts with a zero value of accumulated time, but the main timeline (I don’t know how to name it right :slight_smile: ) has a non-zero value, i.e. there is the remainder from the previous frames.

4 Likes

display.swap_interval works only with opengl.
Is there an vulkan equivalent to setting vsync?

Vulkan doesn’t have that functionality.

1 Like

really?
VkPresentModeKHR(3) (khronos.org)

Well, that is another setting isn’t it?
Imho, I don’t think it’s very useful to merge two such specific settings together into one. I think it’s better to keep them separate.

We can probably add a setting to game.project if it’s requested (please add a feature request to our github repo).

Currently, we initialize it with VK_PRESENT_MODE_FIFO_KHR
Since our Vulkan backend is still fairly new ground, I’m curious:

• What mode are you looking for
  • and what is your use case?

First, i´m complete new to defold.
I was just looking for defold features.
VSync on is the only thing i wish.
Don´t know if it is per default in the game.project setting in case of vulkan.
A question btw. how to set the renderer to vulkan? (with a fallback to opengl if vulkan is not available?!?)
I know i must have a deeper look into the settings :wink:

If you read the documentation you linked, about VK_PRESENT_MODE_FIFO_KHR, you’ll see that it enables vsync. So that is the default.

You need to use the extension-vulkan.
Follow the setup there.

Some platforms use the Vulkan by default. Currently it’s only Nintendo Switch, but later this year, we’ll migrate macOS/iOS to use the Vulkan backend as well.

1 Like

Thanks alot.Yes i will do read the whole docs.
I only use Windows.(maybe later export for web too)

Do we have to use a specific defold-spine extension with this update?
I’m getting an error:
Cannot play spine animation on a non-spine node

when building the project with extension: https://github.com/defold/extension-spine/archive/refs/tags/2.0.8.zip

No, the spine extension shouldn’t need to be updated afaik.

Did the message say anything else?
What was your url?
More info?

I just added new release with a fix for cloned gui nodes:

1 Like

So, I prepared the another test project - https://github.com/aglitchman/defold-fixedupdate-131-test

If you run it, you will see three sprites (“anchors”, again) that infinitely fall from the top to the bottom. Look at the test2/test.script to see how they are animated - the script adds fixed step every fixed_update.

• Left: it is created from a collection factory and runs on the main timeline.
  • Center: it runs from a collection proxy.
  • Right: the same as the central sprite, but with interpolation of position and rotation.

Plus, I captured a video (it’s slowed down x2 for convenience):

From the start, the left sprite falls smoothly, but the central sprite falls with jittering. And interpolation doesn’t help at all (actually, it works well - it can be tested if set fixed update frequency to 30hz).

Then, on the second run, the proxy’s time accumulator catches up with the main timeline and the animation starts running smoothly. But still jitters from time to time.

10 Likes

same problem with platypus

2 Likes

I filled the issue for an easier follow-up - https://github.com/defold/defold/issues/6535

(Offtopic. While doing that, I stumbled upon a great resource - “jitternator - Lessons learnt from hunting jitter issues!” :grinning: )

7 Likes