Defold 1.2.81 has been released

Defold 1.2.81

This release includes new alternative texture resource compression methods.

With this release it’s possible to specify a compression method used on a texture resource (instead of the default LZ4), namely WebP and WebP-lossy. These options are exposed in the texture profiles as a complement to the regular image compression formats.

We have added an option to enable high DPI window creation on OSX and Windows. This is exposed as an option under the display category in game.project.

The atlas editor has also been updated with the ability to show which images you have selected.

Engine

• DEF-1750 - Added: Support for lossy texture compressions (WebP format)
  • DEF-1541 - Added: Option to enable high DPI window creation.
  • DEF-1638 - Added: Atlas image selection highlighting
  • DEF-1655 - Fixed: Support for loading Spine 3 weighted meshes.
  • DEF-1690 - Fixed: Push notifications on Android are forwarded directly if app is visible.
  • DEF-1703 - Fixed: Better http timeout handling.
  • DEF-1353 - Fixed: GUI protobuf message docs are not included in API docs.
  • DEF-1653 - Fixed: Improved error handling when parsing malformed json data.

Service

• DEF-1456 - Added: API support for user deletion and transfer of project ownership.
  • DEF-1228 - Fixed: Projects archives now supports slash in branch name.
  • DEF-1370 - Fixed: Projects should not inherit template git log.
  • DEF-1727 - Fixed: Server side git gc.
  • DEF-1456 - Fixed: New endpoint for changing owner.

Web

• Added: New section for release notes on the website.
7 Likes

Whats the status of DEF-1788? Was hoping for a fix this release… The last piece of our game to be able to release.

What really matters is when defold start supporting admob

2 Likes

Ads are less of a game feature request and more of a business model one. Unfortunately (or fortunately) King doesn’t rely on ads like Rovio does.

Firstly I guess that there aren’t internal requests for this and we as free users don’t have much saying.
Secondly there are a lot of ad providers each with a SDK. They could choose one or two like other closed engines but I presume they want us to be able to choose anything.
Thirdly each SDK adds up to the size of the build. They want to keep it low.
Fourth… Defold doesn’t support videos so no rewarded ads.

As an ending note, ads aren’t going away. Brands are moving into the mobile ad space so from now on, ad revenues are only to go up so it would be nice to have options.

Edit: If I leave my engineer cap at home, and think like a business, then having ads available (any ads, doesn’t matter which) is a huge boon; there can only be 2 states(has ads or not). Once it has then we can start thinking about how many or what types.

Edit 2: One solution I saw is implementing just one mediation SDK so the mediation provider handles ad providers on the web side of things.

2 Likes

It has been prioritised and estimated, but currently there are other issues that has higher prio. @Ingela_Garneij can we do something about this?

It is one of the most requested features from indies so it’s definitely high prio! We hear you and we are looking into options. :slight_smile: The request is complex, we are trying to find a good solution to satisfy as many needs as possible without compromising size or locking users into a specific network.

3 Likes

We have increased the priority so that we can solve this issue before summer (it is currently planned for a June release), but we cannot promise anything, sorry!

3 Likes

This page is missing high_dpi documentation

What are the consequences of having high_dpi enabled in general?

This page is also missing collection.max_instances documentation: Maximum number of instances of objects / components allowed within single collections at once?

collectionfactory.max_count is also missing

More:

android.push_field_title
android.push_field_text
android.iap_provider
android.input_method
html5.archive_location_prefix
html5.archive_location_suffix
iap.auto_finish_transactions

I’m working on writing longer form documentation for all of these in book currently.

I have found release notes that I’m referencing which do explain these.

1 Like

Should the default value of custom_heap_size in the Project Editor be set to the actual bytes the default heap size uses (268435456?) instead of 0? There is already a flag above it to enable/disable custom heap size.

1 Like

@sicher: Are these missing project settings already on your radar and in the list of documentation updates or should I create a ticket for them?

Tickets are good so they don’t get forgotten. :slight_smile:

Created ticket DEF-1884!

2 Likes

If you’re on a retina display the game will render in higher resolution. Scaled down graphics and fonts will look much nicer.

Is there any negative effect for having the option on with non-retina displays?

I don’t think so. @sven?

Typo here “quartenion” instead of “quaternion”

Also euler property should be a vector3 not a vector4 as it is listed?

If there is no negative effect then why not always have it enabled? Or if it is on will it render the game at for example 2x always anyway? Would be best to be able to detect retina displays…

On a retina display it has a performance impact.

1 Like

As @sicher pointed out, it will not make any difference on non-retina displays, but render at a higher backbuffer size on retina/high-dpi displays (which means more pixels to render -> potential performance hit). :slight_smile:

1 Like