Defold 1.2.57 has been released

This release contains several new features and a set of bug fixes. Defold now has support for GUI layouts that dynamically adapt to screen orientation and differences in aspect ratio which is very useful if you produce games for multiple target devices. We also added a new vmath.vector type and enhanced the gui.animate() and go.animate() functions where vector data can be used to express custom easing curves. Finally, HTML5 bundled games can now use Flash-based audio playback for wider platform support.

New features

• New vmath.vector type and custom easing for animations.
  • GUI layouts and dynamic screen orientation support.
  • Flash based audio in HTML5.

Bug fixes

• Ongoing HTTP requests hanged the application.
  • GUI rendering forced new batching / sorting.
  • Fix to get old filtering behaviour for materials with old texture settings.
  • Debug rendering fixed after previous render order update.
  • defold.com Dashboard showed empty lists and fails with JS error on Safari.
  • Async engine service update to remove some runtime glitches.

Documentation updates

• Various API doc updates and fixes.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Could you provide more in-depth information on how the dynamic screen orientation works?
I guess rotating a device would be the same as resizing the Defold window - but is there a way to control when that behaviour is on and not? Do you need to specify the supported rotations in the manifest/info.plist files?

Yes and no. The feature allows separate GUI layouts that are dynamically chosen depending on orientation and aspect ratio. In the GUI editor, there is a new “Layouts” part of the outline that allows separate node properties per layout. This feature will be documented soon.

Now that I have tried out the new version, I can see my assumption is correct: The new default behaviour is that the view is changed when the device is rotated. How can this behaviour be turned off if I want my application to be landscape-only?