Defold 1.2.172 BETA

Defold 1.2.172 BETA

The latest beta is now released, and we invite those interested in beta testing the new features in the editor and engine to join now.
The beta period will be 2 weeks and the next planned stable release is two weeks from now.

We hope this new workflow will highlight any issues earlier, and also get valuable feedback from our users. And please comment if you come up with ideas on improving on this new workflow.

Please report any engine issues in this thread or in issues using Help -> Report Issue

Thx for helping out!

Disclaimer

This is a BETA release, and it might have issues that could potentially be disruptive for you and your teams workflow. Use with caution. Use of source control for your projects is strongly recommended.

Access to the beta

Download the editor or bob.jar from http://d.defold.com/beta/

Set your build server to https://build-stage.defold.com

Release notes

This sprint we’ve upgraded the extension-iap to support Android Billing 3.0. Read more in this post. You can find the beta version of the extension here

The sound has been moved to a separate thread (if the platform supports it), which significantly lowers the risk of stutter when playing sound while loading large scenes.

We’ve also spent some time improving the support for our newest platform, the Nintendo Switch.
In this beta we’re adding multiple workflow fixes, including support for the web profiler and hot reload.

Engine

• Issue-4991 - Added: Added android.display_cutout in game.project for handling display cutout
  • Issue-3172 - Fixed: Only use XY for creating uniform scale in Box2D
  • Issue-4447 - Fixed: Added Android 10 as the default target api
  • Issue-4837 - Fixed: Sound is now run on a separate thread
  • Issue-4862 - Fixed: sys.reboot now supported on HTML5
  • Issue-4952 - Fixed: Fix crash when deleting playing particlefx in gui
  • Issue-5000 - Fixed: Proper Lua context cleanup after window.set_listener callbacks
  • Issue-5051 - Fixed: Fixed spawn position for mesh component
  • Issue-5069 - Fixed: Fix for world space mesh component
  • Issue-5033 - Fixed: Added better error reporting if liveupdate keys were set, but didn’t exist on disc
  • Issue-4766 - Fixed: Removed unused render target name
  • Issue-5063 - Fixed: Vulkan - Added cubemap support
  • Issue-5014 - Fixed: Vulkan - Fix conditions for properly resizing scratch buffer
  • Issue-5043 - Fixed: Vulkan - Make sure we set the correct filtering when uploading textures
27 Likes

The value and the importance of this cannot be overstated. It is a beautiful feeling changing screens in our next game without having any stutter in the music playing!

13 Likes

That’s nice to hear.
And I have some collection/gui scene loading optimizations coming too, that should make it even smoother :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Awesome! It really is an astounding feeling having the audio be so smooth now!!! :sparkles:

5 Likes

Wohoo! :smiley:

2 Likes

Really great to see sound on a separate thread and further support for Nintendo Switch. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just tried out the new release.

On the plus side, the new Android cutout option works great! I really appreciate how quickly that was added!

I fear something may be off with the new audio changes, though? If I open my game, which plays music, and then switch back to the home screen or another app, my game music keeps playing. It only stops when I completely close the game.

Related to that, my phone locked up when I closed the game posting the exit message with code 0.

UPDATE: the crash only happened one time so far. Not entirely sure what triggered it.

Phone is a Google Pixel 3a XL, running Android 10.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought that the sound threading would change that behavior (I might be wrong ofc). Could you try it with the 1.2.171 release to confirm?)

Yeah, it’s strange. I’ll rebuild with that version this evening and will report back.

I’ll test it on iOS later this week as well because I have almost finished PR that blocks and restore sound on iOS and before sound in a separate thread I had problems there, but now it should work. Will see.

1 Like

Do you use sys.exit() or os.exit()

sys.exit is the correct one to use as that should gracefully shut down the engine and all its resources.

1 Like

@britzl I’m using this code right now:
msg.post("@system:", "exit", { code = 0 })

The crash only happened one time. I have not been able to reproduce it.

@Mathias_Westerdahl I downloaded 1.2.171 again, bundled the APK, and released on Google Play Internal Testing. The audio stops when I switch apps or go to the home screen. The issue seems to be with 1.2.172. No audio related code has changed in my game for a few Defold versions.

1 Like

A fix for the sound pause issue is coming today or tomorrow (#5080)

Btw, the msg.post("@system:", "exit", { code = 0 }) is deprecated, in favor of sys.exit(), and I’m curious if you found a reference to it from some old code or a tutorial? If so, we should update our tutorials/code :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most likely I found it on an old forum post. The forum shows up higher than the docs in many of my Google searches. I’ve updated my code now.

I saw the PR was merged, and my editor asked me to update. The latest build works great. Audio is pausing and resuming when switching apps.

Thanks for such a quick response on both this audio issue and the display cutout option! :clap:

2 Likes

All of the references on the site

Notably in the docs it is listed https://defold.com/ref/stable/sys/#exit