Defold 1.2.162 has been released

This is unfortunately missing from the docs. Speed is a number where 1.0 is normal speed, 0.5 is half speed and 2.0 is double speed. The final speed of the sound will be a multiplication of the speed value when calling sound.play() and the sound component speed value.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s ofc better to use builtin libraries to skip the added size.
I’m however not clear on the licensing for us distributing the headers in the sdk (I still want the headers to be public)

We’re currently using a version 9ed851d27ff09b30badeb2c54884ffd2aea633af from https://github.com/ARMmbed/mbedtls/releases. It’s close to the release 2.16.2, which came a bit later)

If you grab the headers from that library and that revision, you should be able to start using it already.

4 Likes

@Mathias_Westerdahl I’m happy now :joy:
Anyway, I would want to ask you two questions:
1. Playfab can be used to develop an online multiplayer like an mmorpg?
2. Actually I’m using lua websocket for client and a server written in java for doing that. It works well locally, but when i try it on network there are some lag problems related to settimeout(0) I think; Timeout is the time waited by client for retrieving packets, so if we set it to 0, it is possible that some packets are lost?
2.1. It is possible for you to create a separate thread for socket connections? I have noticed that with lua scripting it’s not possible. Doing that it will be possible to set a timeout different from 0 without block the main thread.

Good work Defold guys :slight_smile: :muscle:

3 Likes

I would be incredibly interested in feature development for Defold. Opening up the codebase even a little bit is an exciting idea.

2 Likes

Playfab has a wide range of services and features. They have support for player authenticate, data storage, matchmaking, leaderboards, multiplayer services and much more. I’m sure it can be used to create multiplayer games.

No, setting timeout to 0 means that the socket should never block and wait for data. As long as the socket is polled for data frequently (in this case every frame) there is no risk of lost packages. They will exist on the socket until read. If you read too infrequently the socket buffer could get full, but that would not be a problem in a game.

Yes, it is possible. But it would also become a bit problematic on HTML5 for instance where threads doesn’t really exist in the same way (yes there are webworkers). Things are about to improve on HTML5 though with new functionality going in that direction being worked on by browser and javascript vendors.

2 Likes

Ok thank you for the explain :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m in trouble with dmengine armv7 on my old Galaxy Tab 3 10" (Intel Atom)

No way to connect with this release of the editor, with some other previous releases it worked well.

Btw Dynamo profiler from browser is responding.

Any ideas?

Here’s some logcat:

Thanks in advance.

:sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:
Finally I can get rid of saving sound times in lua tables and round the clock timers. :wink:

5 Likes

speed and pitch are same things or not? as I know they are definitely two different things…

1 Like

playing back something at a faster speed alters the pitch by default, unless you do some DSP magic (probably Fourier transform and then inverse Fourier transform) to pitch-shift the frequencies so that they remain the same.

2 Likes

What @dapetcu21 and you said, it’s technically two different things.
When it comes to short sounds like effects, the length doesn’t matter very much, and one can use a much simpler algorithm (“non length preseving”) by playing back the sound at a different speed.
However, we also chose to make this clear, by naming this property “speed”.

If you do need length preserving pitch, you can instead use FMOD.

2 Likes