Debugger Improvements

We released a series of improvements for Lua debugger:

• Better handling and displaying of values with circular references. Previously such values could hang editor or engine on breakpoints. Now we make sure to handle it gracefully, and allow to infinitely drill down to such values in Variables panel:
  • Displaying errors of evaluation results: now if your evaluated code results in error, it’s printed instead of being silently swallowed:
    Screenshot%20from%202019-03-18%2013-18-37
  • Pretty-printing evaluation results: now your tables are pretty-printed and can be read more easily:

If you avoided debugger previously because of its unreliability, I’d suggest you to give it a try now, and tell as what you think!

19 Likes

It feels mature enough to use it now. One thing I’d add is some history for the “evaluate lua” box. I’m used to the Chrome Dev Tools where I can type an expression, press enter to view it, then press up arrow to continue editing it.

8 Likes

True, I have the same habit, and it doesn’t work there. We should add that.

2 Likes

+1 Really missing this feature.

2 Likes

Great improvements :+1:

3 Likes

Just pushed an update that improves performance on evaluating large data structures (such as _G) — no more editor freezes!

16 Likes

Another minor improvement added: history in Evaluate Lua text field, accessible by pressing Up.
Check for updates!

10 Likes