Can you make Defold Extensions open source?

2018-04-05_11-13-46
For now Defold has 5 internal extensions. Looks like they are an independent modules and they can be open source as I think.
Why we need it?

1. In-app purchases - my personal pain.
  • Android In-app Subscriptions - Docs contain info that subscriptions works fine, but it doesn’t work on android (maybe i did something wrong, but …). I have to release an app in two days and now I don’t know what can I do with it.

• Purchases still have no a refund implementation.

• Non-consumable purchases flow - Defold manuals told that payments has one workflow for all platforms, but it’s true only for consumable purchase. It’s confuse. It’s to hard reading and understanding Apple and Google documentation, when you don’t know what exactly Defold Lua methods do inside.

• “developerPayload” parameter in payments

1. Push notifications, especially local pushes:
  1. Facebook (I did’t use it, give me know if you have an issue here - I’ll update main post)
  2. Inter-app communication (I did’t use it, give me know if you have an issue here - I’ll update main post)
  3. Webview (I did’t use it, give me know if you have an issue here - I’ll update main post)

I know that it’s hard to make Defold an open source. What about those modules?

I know that Defold team isn’t big and you can’t close all issues immediately, but you can rely on us - your community!
We can and we want to help you and together we can make Defold better.

If you agree with me just tap “yes” in this poll:

• Yes, I need it.
  • No, thanks.

0 voters

Defold community member,
Alexey Gulev

13 Likes

I can confirm that this is the way we’re heading with these extensions (we voted yes too ^^). We want the users to be able to help themselves, in situations just like this.

The only thing that has stopped us is when to do it, and how to do it. When: When we have a pipeline that supports it (which we do now with native extensions). How: Make sure our SDK supports the things that our internal extensions needs to make them work.

Our internal extensions have been there for quite some time, and aren’t fully using the extension SDK, but in fact also have some extra glue to make them setup properly. They should use the SDK though, which means we probably need to add some new life cycle functions/hooks to the SDK. As for the IAP extension, I don’t think it needs any extra functions, but it will take some time to clean it up and put it online. I really don’t think it will be ready for this week.

12 Likes