Inspired by and created during the month long Defold x Yandex game jam 2021. Using the theme (" Target ") as the main focus . I’ve created all the assets during this time and used only one extension which is - ( DefOS ) to hide the cursor. Although it will not make it as a game jam submission, I still wanted to share the work with the community. I really wanted to push the 3d aspect and see what I can do with it. This was my first attempt at a game jam and had a lot of fun with it. Wish all the participants great luck !
Originally I was going to go for an old style american fair shooting gallery and then I put my own spin on it with the bullseye theme which inspired the art style. I tried getting around translating so I didn’t use any text (besides the title) and instead used icon/emojis green and red color styling for communication which hopefully is universal-ish. as you can see when pressing the menu help button.
Recorded a bunch of foley sound effects and turned out only used a hand full in the final sounds. was a lot of fun.
The theme music was a challenge for sure , I tried to create circus type theme music and my third attempt was the most charming and simple so I kept it. Turned out more like something from the 1960’s Munsters tv show. Hopefully its not too bad…
Things I would have liked to add:
- More target types , Like a duck target and a spinning wheel with targets around its bounds that pops up once in a while. I would have also liked to use the bull as a target that takes up a good portion of the screen and the player would need to shoot both eyes to get a good amount of points and free up space to shoot other targets once again.
- Speed up after a certain amount of time making it a bit more challenging
- making some targets fold down and back up once in awhile possibly making players miss even with potentially good shots.
- quick popup text and fade animation when player gets points/ammo/time near cursor or something similar.
- Simple save system for saving high score so if player comes back to the game it could be displayed, also a reset button would need to be made.
- Sometimes when using last ammo UI may still show 1 ammo and not update the ui.
- On last shot if player hits an ammo target will not keep playing but will receive points and end match. I like it this way.
- Theme music may get too repetitive and may need to add music disable button.
- Game most likely needs more balancing.
Tell me what you think, any and all feedback is welcome. Thank you.