While making the f18 game, I ran into some general hassles getting 3D models into the Defold system. Its not that its hard, its just a little strict and takes more time than Id like.
Sync Tool is now Defender!
The tool is now a Blender only plugin, making it much easier to install and use. Example running here:
- New GLTF and GLB Defold support
- PBR Material (simple) and Defold model material
- Global or Local single light
- Material flat or vertex shading
- Export all collections to Defold collections
- Export mesh, textures, vertices, normals and uvs.
- Base Color RGB converted to small png and mapped into PBR material
- Hierarchy structure replicated with game objects in Defold.
- Empty nodes are used for game information and exported to Defold as game object.
There are likely to be bugs, and I am resolving them as I use it in my f18 game. There are very few more features I need to add, so if you are looking for a feature then please ask or raise an issue and I will have a look. Some features can be very easy to add.
Possible features to be added:
- Particle effects mapped to Defold particles
- Multiple light support - this may happen, but I think it might be better to create a lighting system for Defold including light probes and similar.
- More complex animation - I want to add tweening and animate export.
- Lua Defold script testing in Blender. A little weird, but I have done some initial tests, and this could be very useful.
An application I hope to develop from this, is a Blender visualiser that allows people to view their Blender assets live on a target platform (IOS, Android, PC etc).
People interested in working on it, or want to submit PRs, please do. Happy to have input!