BoxRob

#7: INTERESTING FACTS

7.1)Round boxes

The box, when picked up by hand, changes its physical body from a rectangle to a circle, so it doesn’t get stuck in narrow places and cling to corners. :slight_smile:
box_round

5 Likes

7.2)Placing the box inside the truck

Throwing a box into the truck is tricky, and there are levels where you need to stack the boxes on top of each other. Therefore, when entering a truck, the throwing mechanics are replaced by the laying mechanics. Moreover, to make it obvious to the player, the hand changes its position and extends forward.

4 Likes

7.3)Invisible walls
On one level you need to put the boxes in the pit,and then press the button to push them into the car with the door. But there was a problem with the boxes clinging to the wall. So, the wall collider was made smaller than it looks.

But a new problem appeared, the robot could enter this hole. So, I added an invisible wall that only collides with the robot.

Yellow is the wall collider. Red is an invisible wall.

3 Likes

7.4)Truck on bonus levels

When you collect 60 stars, you open a bonus level.

On the bonus level, you don’t need to load cargo, you need to collect all the stars within a certain time. But the game logic expects a truck to be on the level. Therefore, at the bonus level, there is a truck, but it is out of the player’s sight :slight_smile:

4 Likes

7.5)Bugs with physics

Physics bugs can look funny. For example, when the robot’s arm is torn apart, but it tries to get back together :slight_smile:

4 Likes

7.6)Explosion

When the box exploded, a bunch of small round bodies with velocity were created. This is a simulation of what happens in an explosion. It is easy to implement and it looks realistic.

4 Likes

7.7)Taking box with hand

When robot tries to take a box with hand, force is applied to the end of the hand, so the hand moves to the box.

When the hand is near the box, distanceJoin is created between the hand and the box grip point. This joint is elastic. It tries to move the box to the hand. This makes taking of the box look juicier and faster.

6 Likes

#8: Conclusion

It turned out to be a cool game that I enjoyed working on. There were a lot of difficult and funny moments when working with physics, and overall, this game was interesting to make. It’s a pleasure to see the prototype getting better and better with each iteration.

Ask me if you have any questions:)

10 Likes

Such a great job on this game . Everything feels so responsive and clean , specially since it is a web browser game. The game mechanics are fun, the sound is great. Thanks for having wasd movement , very much appreciated from a person who loves to play PC games.

3 Likes

Explosion physics idea is very clever! Good job with these games!

1 Like

This is great! Well done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great! Thank you for that thread! It’s really interesting.
That would be nice to make a blog post out of it

2 Likes

I agree. @d954mas do we have your permission to turn this into a blog post?

2 Likes

Yes) turn it :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks! Posted: The making of BoxRob

5 Likes

I just came across this game during an unrelated image search. At first I thought someone was ripping someone off, but at a closer look it’s obviously an older variation of the same idea by the same developer.

I must say, BoxRob is clearly superior, both in mechanics and performance. Great job!

2 Likes

Hey, I found a bug with the boxes and the fact they have no coalition while in the claw, with a low enough roof, you can jump with a box in the claw and let go of the box and it will end up in between the tires and cause it to allows you to jump infinitely, although, sometimes when you do it, the box will just pop right out, and the infinite jump glitch allows you to get into areas that you would normally not be able to get to, and I found it in box rob 2.
I’m the 1 who found it. (I think, I really don’t know if another YouTuber found it already, sorry for anyone who found it before me.)

PS, I would like to know how the jump mechanic works.

I will show you a pic of me doing it.

Never mind, I made a Video instead.
[The infinite jump glitch](

)

1 Like

Wow:)
Cool glitch :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like