Bob Failed to clean up temp directory (SOLVED)

I use bob to bundle game.
Bob is frezzed every time when i build project.

java -jar bob/bob.jar --settings bob/settings/dev_game.project_settings --archive --with-symbols --variant debug --platform=x86_64-win32 --bo bob/releases/dev/win clean resolve build bundle 

Bob is frezzed at 99%
It frezzed for 3-4 minutes.
Then i get warning

Warning: Failed to clean up temp directory 'C:\Users\d954m\AppData\Local\Temp\6477418706775015349'

Let’s try and figure out what step that goes wrong. You run four different commands in the same execution:

clean resolve build bundle

I suggest that you start by running these one by one and in sequence. I’d like to know if it is build or bundle which freezes. Please also add --verbose to your command so we see more info about what bob is doing.

Note that this is a warning and not an error. You can read more about the reasoning here:

@JCash perhaps it’s no point in loggin this?

1 Like

Thanks.
I can ignore that warning. The main problem is frezze. It frezzed for few minutes, it a lot of time

Looks like it trying to delete folder, and frezze.

I add --verbose. It add a lot of logs in prev steps.
But ending looks the same.

94% 95% 96% 97% 98% 99% 100% 101% 100%
Warning: Failed to clean up temp directory 'C:\Users\d954m\AppData\Local\Temp\2794089870956517663'

I am not sure that it is FileUtils.deleteDirectory(tmpDirFile);

But maybe in windows not call it?

I can try to build bob by myself and check it. But i do not see any bob specific instruction. How can i build bob?

Yes, if it is indeed freezing as it attempts to delete the folder then it is something we need to look into. And this was when running build or bundle in isolation?

1 Like

It is build.

1,2 frezzed.
3 worked very fast.

java -jar bob/bob.jar  --settings bob/settings/dev_game.project_settings --archive --with-symbols --variant debug --platform=x86_64-win32 --bo bob/releases/dev/win clean resolve build bundle 

java -jar bob/bob.jar  --settings bob/settings/dev_game.project_settings --archive --with-symbols --variant debug --platform=x86_64-win32 --bo bob/releases/dev/win clean resolve build

java -jar bob/bob.jar  --settings bob/settings/dev_game.project_settings --archive --with-symbols --variant debug --platform=x86_64-win32 --bo bob/releases/dev/win bundle

Does it stall before or after the printout of “Failed to clean up temp directory” ?

If it stalls after, then it’s already failed to delete the directory and shouldn’t take any more time. (Also, I don’t think that the Fileutils.deleteDirectory() should take any amount of time, especially 4 minutes. I suspect something else is at play here.)

If it stalls before the printout, then it’s likely something else.

Do you have native extensions in your project?
One guess would be it’s building a custom engine on the remote server.
Although, the first build would cache the result, so building a second time would use the local cache (unless the source changed and it required a rebuild).

If you want, please share with us a minimal repro case we can test out with.

1 Like

It stalls before.

Yes I have a lot of ne in project.

Ok, so when you do two builds in a row, do they both take the same amount of time?

Also, you can try removing the dependencies from the project, and time how long it takes to build then.

1 Like

I always clean. So I do not know:)

Thanks. I will try to make repro case.
with ne and without.

How do you clean?
The remote build cache isn’t cleaned by the “bob.jar clean” command.

So I do not know :slight_smile:

Well, you can try it now? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm:) I get that frezze every time, i try to build.

1 Like

This is strange indeed.
Let’s hope the repro will give us some insight!

1 Like

Thanks. I make more experiments.
And found problem. It is not “failed to clean up temp directory”
Bob frezze because building engine.

I can see at js-web platform.
1)build get 100%
2)frezze.
3)After frezze in logs i see.

09, 2021 10:17:38 AM com.dynamo.bob.bundle.HTML5Bundler bundleApplication
INFO: Using extender binary for Asm.js
╨░╨┐╤А. 09, 2021 10:17:38 AM com.dynamo.bob.bundle.HTML5Bundler bundleApplication
INFO: Using extender binary for WASM
 101% 100%
Warning: Failed to clean up temp directory 'C:\Users\d954m\AppData\Local\Temp\15992879743605491650'

If i use same bob command it not frezzed on next build.

1 Like

In my builds it fezzed every time, because i try to build with different --settings.

I make scripts to build html build for different targets. dev, itchio, poki, game distribution and etc.

So it is not same bob commands. It commands with different settings. And engine was rebuild.

java -jar bob/bob.jar --settings bob/settings/release_game.project_settings --settings bob/settings/poki_game.project_settings --archive --with-symbols --variant debug --platform=js-web --bo bob/releases/poki clean resolve build bundle 

java -jar bob/bob.jar --settings bob/settings/release_game.project_settings --settings bob/settings/itch_io_game.project_settings --archive --with-symbols --variant debug --platform=js-web --bo bob/releases/itch_io clean resolve build bundle 
1 Like

Thanks for help:)

Problem was on my side:):laughing:

1 Like

I agree that it should be more obvious in the logs, especially when using the “–verbose” flag.

1 Like