Blank template project for use with Editor 2

Since Editor 2 can open projects straight from disk but can’t yet create new ones on its own, I decided to put up a blank template project for myself and anyone else to use. This way you don’t need to use the dashboard or sort out and copy the necessary bits from an existing project to start a new project. Just download the zip, extract, and go. Now I keep a copy on my drive so I can start a new project without internet access at all! (it happens) You can download the template from Github or the Defold community site

This is a blank project. It contains the minimum files required for it to build: game.project, game.input_binding, and main.collection, plus the .gitignore file that Editor 2 generates automatically. No extra stuff that you have to delete every time.

The main complaint I see about Defold (mostly from open-source fans) is that you’re forced to submit all your game code and assets to King’s servers and have to log in to create new projects, etc. It’s hard to squash that complaint when there still isn’t a really easy and obvious way to create a new project without the Dashboard. So now you can just grab a zip of this repo, extract it wherever you want, and open it.

4 Likes

I also have an empty project template: https://github.com/britzl/defold-empty I decided to add icons and loading screens as well, but those aren’t strictly necessary (although on iOS you’d get compatibility mode if you don’t have all launch images)

3 Likes

Ah! Nice. I don’t know how I didn’t find that. I guess mine is unnecessary then.

No, not at all. Please keep yours. I haven’t announced my template project.

Besides, I’m gonna sweet-talk Ragnar and the guys into adding a New Project option somewhere :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Would be cool if we can have .zip files able to be put near the editor or a config folder as new project templates!

5 Likes

Filed as https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues/727

4 Likes

I just cleaned this up (now there’s no extra junk that you have to delete every time) and put it on the community site.

6 Likes