Announcing our renewed focus on the Defold editor

As most of you know the Defold editor has not received many updates since Defold transitioned into the hands of the Defold Foundation. The main reason has been a lack of funds and a priority on improvements to the engine.

I’m really pleased to announce that this changes now! As of today @mats.gisselson and @vlaaad have been hired to work full time on the Defold editor. Both Mats and Vlad have worked on the Defold Editor in past and we’re really happy to welcome them back to the project again!

Initially their main focus will be to improve the performance of the editor when used with large projects. This goal is improve everything from assets importing to the speed with which you can edit large scenes. As Mats and Vlad gets back into the project you can also expect to see overall improvements to editor usability and later also to extendability.

Happy days!

45 Likes

Great news! Welcome back and congratulations to both of you! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is fantastic news. Total excite! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Welcome back into the (de)fold, Mats and Vlad!

Glad to hear the editor will be getting some much needed TLC

8 Likes

It’s Great!

1 Like

This is great to hear. I do half of the work on my current project at work and the computer here is starting to struggle with larger levels.

5 Likes

Amazing news! Especially, because the Editor is written in different language and it didn’t have a needed care for a long time! :heart_eyes:

Welcome back! :partying_face:

3 Likes

This makes me so happy! Congratulations team!

7 Likes

And I know some very old, long forgotten (but is it forgotten?) feature request that could be taken care of :smiley:

Duplicate: https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues/2205

5 Likes

This is my personal favourite:

It would save so many steps and no external editor would be needed. 🥹

7 Likes

Congrats on the new jobs!

3 Likes

I just wish changing the frame rate of an animation or even just renaming it wouldn’t take a couple of minutes in my admittedly unreasonably large atlases.

3 Likes

This is really awesome news! Glad to hear that the team is growing and I’m really looking forward to the future of Defold :smiley:

2 Likes

This is an example of one of the tasks that we’ll probably tackle early on!

7 Likes