All error messages returning: "ERROR:SCRIPT: (null)(null)" (SOLVED)

I’m updated to the newest version. This started a few updates ago, and I managed to skoot my way around this error a few times thinking I was doing some specific thing wrong over and over again. I decided to test it by seeing what error it gave, knowing what error should appear.

I have no idea what happened… I don’t even know what could have caused this. This is almost comical, but it’s also very problematic.

Hi!

Do you happen to overwrite the debug global variable by accident?

We just verified that we get the “(null)(null)” error if we overwrite debug. :slight_smile: This is due the function responsible for returning an informative error message once an error occurs rely on functionality inside the built in debug.* namespace.

2 Likes

Heheheh, maaaaybe…

Yep. Renamed it to game_debug so that there aren’t any issues. Didn’t realize that would overwrite the engine’s version of the debug variable. My bad.

:+1:

SUGGESTION: The engine could output a warning message when the debug variable is changed, letting the user know that disastrous, even comical things can occur if not set correctly.

Also: Yay, I have errors!

4 Likes

Haha awesome!

Yes, we discussed it just now in the team. It does make sense, but there might be an easier fix internally in the engine to not rely on the global debug. I’m adding a ticket for this, thanks for reporting! :slight_smile:

Issue: DEF-3382

3 Likes