After Android Marshmallow update not allowing Project>Target > Device (DEF-1928) (SOLVED)

My s6 edge just updated to 6.0.1 Android and since then I have not been able to connect editor phone.

Developer options on.
App running on phone.

Not available as a target.

1 Like

Could you make sure that both devices are on the same network? And that just one defold app is running on your mobile device.

One more good thing to verify is the IP displayed in Project > Target > ... is on the same subnet as your mobile device (should be available in the WiFi settings).

I currently don’t have an updated S6 edge available so I can’t try myself. Please let me know if you still are having problems!

I assume that you were able to connect fine prior to the upgrade, and that you now have no other wifi connectivity issues besides Defold? I ask because I did a bit of googling and it seems that Android Marshmallow can bring some wifi connectivity issues in some cases. The solutions seem a bit tribal, like toggling airplane mode, but I guess it couldn’t hurt trying them out: http://www.androidauthority.com/android-marshmallow-problems-troubleshooting-674064/

1 Like

Yes, I could see the device (IP) in Project > target prior to Marshmallow.

I am connected via usb.
Both device on same network. Tried resetting network connection as instructed by link.
Still does not connect.

Interesting thing, maybe I didn’t notice before but my Project > Target now shows sometimes both a local - and my computer in target.
So, sometimes 2 of same.

Looking around the house for a few older devices to try.

Ok, I see that an older non-marshmallow nexus 7 will connect via usb or wi-fi.

I can see the target under project.

I have very poor knowledge about the specifics of the marshmallow upgrade unfortunately, but the editor is trying to find targets through SSDP, by broadcasting a message over the subnet which it then expects any devices to answer (the engine running on your computer answered, hence the two tagets). I’m not sure there could be any defaults (firewalls?) in that upgrade that would keep that communication from happening, but if so we should be able to quickly check that in the office.

I installed an ssdp sniffer on phone and can see the defold requests but it still does not show as target.

I have an app that connects to a remote slr, I am thinking does a similar handshake, I’ll see if that still works.

1 Like

Any news on this? I can’t connect with my Marshmallow phone either. It is on the same network/subnet as my computer but won’t show up in the target-list. My very old 4.2.2 phone does show up however, so it’s not a network problem.

It’s in the backlog and I think @jakob.pogulis has more information regarding this.

Hi there,

I’ve just bumped into this problem. I have an older Sony Xperia T with Android 4.4. It’s showing up in the editor and I can develop on that phone. Also I just bought Huawei P8 Lite with Android 6.0 and if I do the same setup, the device is not shown on the target list, altought the app is running and everything is enabled.

I used notebook Dell Latitude E4300 and every device was connected over same Wi-Fi. I also tried restarting Editor, as well as reinstalling the app. Nothing solved that issue. That means it is deffinitely some problem with Android Marshmallow.

I think this can be caused by new permission system on Android 6.0 Marshamallow. Maybe adding manifest permission for network could help.

1 Like

Thank you for bumping this and adding your vote to get this fixed. I will try to get this prioritised. (DEF-1928)

1 Like

This will be worked on next week and hopefully completed before the next release (1.2.91)

Solved in 1.2.91

2 Likes