Acid Rain - A single file pure Lua particle system for Defold

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I posted on here as I moved away from defold :grimacing: but pop back to see how things are changing as I liked Defold so much it’s hard not to. Hope you don’t mind.

Anyway, a couple of years ago I thought it would be fun to create a particle system in Defold that used Game objects as particles so I could use Defold’s Physics system.

Then the last visit to the forums I noticed a couple of particle related questions that the built in system couldn’t achieve but that Acid Rain could. (Collision objects, physics movement, flipbook animation, multiple sprites per emitter, that sort of thing).

Turns out I still had it so I’ve given it a bit of a tidy up and packed it off to the GitHubs!

https://github.com/approboGames/AcidRain

Feel free to do what you want with it, I hope it helps someone in their project.

It’s only a single file and is pretty fast (should be ok for a few thousand particles) but I haven’t benchmarked it. There’s a demo included but I could gone on and on adding examples but the included demos should suffice for you to get the gist.

Best regards

Edit: Forgot to say the built in particle system is considerably more powerful than this so Acid Rain is in not intended to be used as a replacement, it’s just a bit different.

23 Likes

I’m impressed! This is a really cool library. Well done.

4 Likes

Wow! Thank you very much for this!
I was holding on writing something like this for a long time, only made a PoC with blood and coins particles emitter for my game that were simple GOs with sprite and collision object, so your version adds a lot for me, thank you! :heart:

2 Likes