999 a.d

I’m just starting one of my dream projects: an action RPG in the style of The Legend of Zelda 2D games.

I’m very aware that it’s a very huge project so I’m just planning to make a prototype implementing some features and see where it can go from there. This is more of a playground for testing things out than a serious commercial project. However, it could become something bigger if I see promising progress. We never know… :slight_smile:

For now, I just created a repository on github with very basic settings:

You can take a look at the README.md file to see some choices I made. Here is a recap:

• 640 x 360 resolution (16/9) with pixel art settings.
  • fixed fit projection rendering to allow resizing the window.
  • I set the game.input_binding file to basic keyboard controls (WASD, Arrow keys, Space key) and the gamepad buttons.

I will post my progression here and I hope to have some feedback and advices about my design decisions.
There are many things I don’t know how to make but I hope I’ll learn some cool techniques along the way. :wink:

By the way, 999 A.D. refers to the era where my game will take place.

[EDIT] I change the name of the project from 1000 A.D. to 999 A.D. since it’s actually taking place precisely in this year.

10 Likes

For fun (and to promote Defold, I tried to create a splash screen that fades in at startup:
defold_splash_creen

This is something I wanted to do even if it’s not a priority for my project. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is the script so far:

function init(self)
	go.set("#white_background", "tint.w", 0)
	go.set("#defold_logo", "tint.w", 0)
	go.set("#made_with_text", "color.w", 0)
	animate_splash(self)
end

function animate_splash(self)
	go.animate("#white_background", "tint.w", go.PLAYBACK_ONCE_FORWARD, 1, go.EASING_LINEAR, 2, 1)
	go.animate("#defold_logo", "tint.w", go.PLAYBACK_ONCE_FORWARD, 1, go.EASING_LINEAR, 2, 1)
	go.animate("#made_with_text", "color.w", go.PLAYBACK_ONCE_FORWARD, 1, go.EASING_LINEAR, 2, 1)
end

I also tried to create a title screen:
999ad_title

It’s more of a mockup than a polished artwork.

By the way, for those who want to know, I’m using this palette:

4 Likes