4k/HiDPI monitor support (SOLVED)

Do you have plans to support this kind of monitor?
This is what it looks like when I start Defold on my laptop with Linux :slightly_frowning_face::

1 Like

Please make an issue here https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues

Generally, a lot of software is not suited for 4k displays, for example, I’m struggling to select a proper icon in GIMP :confused:

Just a curious onlooker here, but don’t you just scale up the text size of your operating system when you have a monitor like that?

That’s what I do on my 4k monitor on macOS.

1 Like

Scaling in Windows doesn’t help, icons are just too small, text is unreadable :confused: I was reading about it and issues remains unresolved, not even a single workaround, it is something that devs must ensure, unfortunately

I think JavaFX should be able to help with this. @vlaaad and @mats.gisselson?

Huh, I have HiDPI Linux at home, Defold looks fine there. One thing that might help: edit config file in Defold installation directory: after "vmargs = " add “-Djdk.gtk.version=2,” and restart Defold.

5 Likes

@vlaaad, that didn’t help in my case, but I’ve found a solution for my GNOME desktop environment:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2
Initially it was set to 0.
Hope it will help someone :slight_smile:

And this is the result:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing the solution! I added this to the Linux FAQ. I wonder if this is something we could do on startup somehow?

I know this is an old topic but I think there is a better solution for the font scaling. The problem is that for a lot of monitors, you want to scale up by a fraction, for example 1.5 seems to work well for mine. The solution above only allows for an integral scaling factor.

You should edit Defold/config and find the vmargs line. Change it as follows:

vmargs = -Dglass.gtk.uiScale=1.5,-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8…

If you don’t want to scale by 1.5, include your own value of course.

Perhaps this could be added to the Linux FAQ too?

5 Likes

Thanks! Added it just now. It should be visible in a minute or so.

Thank you! Now when I forget how I did it in six months’ time, it will be there waiting. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes