3D models not rendering in bundle (SOLVED)

Hi!

I am working on a small 3D racer game and everything works nicely in the build from Editor, but when I build the game for target (Windows or HTML5) everything is black except particlefx. There are 3D models (quad for ground and 3D models of stands and car) and a sprite (white built-in blob as a texture), the only thing I see is the particlefx simulating smoke, the added sprite and GUI - models are not visible (black).

Left: build from Editor | Right: windows bundle:

Nothing unusual in logs:

INFO:DLIB: Log server started on port 56847
INFO:ENGINE: Target listening with name: pawel - fe80::5ac9:3240:ab3f:f04 - Windows
INFO:ENGINE: Engine service started on port 8001
INFO:GRAPHICS: Installed graphics device 'ADAPTER_FAMILY_OPENGL'
INFO:ENGINE: Defold Engine 1.7.0 (bf4dc66)
INFO:DLIB: Initialized Remotery (ws://127.0.0.1:17815/rmt)
INFO:ENGINE: Loading data from: archive:game.dmanifest
INFO:LIVEUPDATE: Liveupdate folder located at: C:\Users\pawel\AppData\Roaming\6adccf89dfb3173bcdc6f51ed00918238f80c1bb
INFO:LIVEUPDATE: Found no legacy liveupdate zip file references
INFO:LIVEUPDATE: Found no legacy liveupdate index paths
INFO:ENGINE: Initialised sound device 'default'
INFO:DLIB: SSDP: Started on address 192.168.0.45

Defold 1.7.0 (engine sha1: bf4dc66ab5fbbafd4294d32c2797c08b630c0be5, editor sha1: bf4dc66ab5fbbafd4294d32c2797c08b630c0be5).

I’m using a built-in render script (as in the 3D example).

Models are using exactly the same materials as built-in example, the quad for the ground is the exact copy of the quad from example with changed texture only. Yet, I don’t have such problem when bundling only the 3D example:

windows bundle, 3d example:

Do you have any ideas what should I check? How to debug it?

Hm, it might be a bob issue related to the multi-material change perhaps. Does it work if you create a new material and assign everything manually from scratch? Maybe that could narrow it down?

1 Like

Yes, yes it does :sweat_smile: Thank you! :heart:

Left: Windows, Right: HTML5:

I copied the very same built-in material for model with fragment and vertex program:

and assigned it to the car (there are multiple parts in the model):

And it works both in Editor build and bundles :slight_smile:

Could you please explain why something like this happens when using the built-in materials?

P.S. When assigning same material to the rest of the models - all of them starts appearing in builds as expected :wink:

We have changed the file formats to support multiple materials, and the editor usually migrates file formats. When you build from html5 or bundle for any platform we invoke bob so I’m guessing we are missing a migration step there perhaps

3 Likes

Actually, could you open an issue about this on GH? We will forget it otherwise :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Added:

2 Likes