Updated Rive extension!

Is it possible to play multiple timelines (not state machines) at the same time?

I can only get one timeline at a time running, not multiple at the same time. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

The next stable release should solve these issues.

1 Like

I have two timelines (not state machines) on the same artboard.

I want to set one timeline instantly to the 30% position, don’t move it, keep it there.

Then I want to set another timeline instantly to the 20% position (wile keeping the other timeline at the 30% position), don’t move it, keep it there too.

How would I do that? Is that supported?

We don’t currently support it, no.

Is this possible with their api? Check the rive-cpp repo.
If it does, then add a feature request in our extension-rive repo.

It looks like the API does support it. See the paragraph " Advancing Animations" here:

I will make a feature request.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem to mention using more than one animation though?
I suggest you also ask on their forum about it.

Ok will do :+1:

I asked on the Rive Discord and they said I have to ask on the Defold forum instead.

That is a bit strange, as I’d suspect they’d know if their library supports it.
Oh well, we can ask them ourselves in our private chat then.

1 Like

I am trying to play two state machines (not timelines) at the same time and then change an input every frame for each state machine. So far no luck.

Is that the same known issue as playing two timelines at the same time?

Edit: I found an interesting comment here:

Blockquote
You should only be running one state machine at a given time. Some of the runtimes may let you run multiple state machines at the same time, but work is underway to only allow playing one at time in all the runtimes. This ensures predictability from editor to runtime in terms of output, because in the editor, you can’t play multiple state machines at the same time.

So I guess I should find another way of achieving the result I’m after.

If it is possible to achieve in the underlying Rive runtime then it is something we can achieve in the Defold integration too. Did you create a feature request already?

Yes I added a feature request already.

But, didn’t you just say it’s not a feature they’ll keep in Rive? Then we’re likely not goin to inplement it.

Yes, from that Discord post I understood that they will not support that in the future. Is ok, I managed to get it to work another way, it’s just a bit more complex.

What I do need is realtime text change support, so that would be much nicer to have.

Since this is Vulkan/GPU based, I presume hoping for Web export anytime soon is a lost cause?

I know Rive is working with browser vendors to get the needed extensions into Chromium etc which means that the new renderer will work in browsers at some point.

It’ll take a bit for WebGPU to be adapted at scale so I guess I’ll keep Rive in the back of my mind to revisit in a year or two.