Unofficial Defold Game Jam #1

Turns out there’s a limit on user mentions in a single post, so I’ll continue here.

Dodgeball by @ilyabiltuev

• Once again, I couldn’t test multiplayer, but I threw the balls around and tried to dodge them with both players. Then I used a bug that happens if the players meet in the middle to erase both balls from play and called it a win.
  • That crying animation is hilarious. And the default smile of the player that’s not Duke Nukem.
  • Maybe there should be a keyboard key to start a new round? Reaching for the mouse is a bit unwieldy if the rest of the input is through keyboard.
  • Not sure if there’s any connection to the Boss theme, but who am I to judge?

Idle Hero Chronicles by @d954mas

• Oh, an idle game. I shouldn’t have left that for last…
  • …but it turns out there isn’t much to see. I killed a couple of wolves and got some gold. Then a wolf killed me and as far as I know didn’t get any gold, which is kinda racist, but whatever.

CrabBattle by @pux0r3

• I saw a giant crab the other day. Horrible creatures.
4 Likes

Thanks for the feedbacks, @Klear! It’s very precious, it’s more than I could dream of :smiley: There are bugs that I know and have to be fixed, but as I was very short on time it wasn’t possible, I’m happy I released something at least playable :smiley: I’ll be working on this further and there is a long way ahead :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha, thanks for the feedback! No idea how you managed to play it in VR, very cool! Jane has been fired.

3 Likes

@sergey.lerg It was actually pretty simple compared to the hoops I have to jump through to get it working on other games. Or maybe I’ve gotten better at jumping through them by now. I’m not sure if I showed you my catastrophically broken phone when we met here in Prague? Well, it decided to die with perfect timing about a month before my birthday, so now I have a phone that’s more than capable of VR =D

I couldn’t get it working in 3D (if I understand it correctly, the shader needs access to Depth Buffer to make it truly 3D), but it was still pretty funny “being” in that office building and pushing tables around.

@Pawel No problem! I need way more practice to be able to take part in a jam like this, but wanted to give something back nontheless.

4 Likes

Hahaha :smiley: Awesome review, thanks for the feedback! I hope to have some time to polish it a bit, add some interesting powerups, but most importantly make it more intuitive.
For future reference (maybe should include this text in the beginning of the game):

• The main goal is to stay alive the longest.
  • You die if any part of your snake is outside the screen edge.
  • Your snake will grow if you eat the purple “walls”, or if you eat other snakes.
  • If someone eats you, your remaining tail will turn into rock/wall. This means that you actually want to be eaten by other players to keep your snake as short as possible, since the longer your tail is the harder it is to avoid the screen edges.

Regarding the music, I loved The Neverhood! The music is actually a loop I bought from audiojungle. :+1:

1 Like

13 shipped projects is sooooooo goooood for such a short notice.
I am plotting to letsplay all 13 games later this week. Probably will split into 2 episodes, like last time.

7 Likes

I think the snake also grows from eating itself, since it’s possible to completely fill in the small space in the player selection (which is awesome, forgot to mention that!). You might want to have a look at that.

1 Like

Haha, oh yeah, right! :smiley: It was a bug at first, but I liked it so it was kept!

1 Like

First one:

I dunno why the game music/sounds did not work. So I put some creepy background music instead. Tell me if it is annoying! Will cut/ship the next game tomorrow.

9 Likes

So, I could write about my submission :smiley: It was totally encouraged by you @Oleg_The_Evangelist - to prepare a demo of the game I’m working on from a while. It’s not completed, it’s not even playable sometimes because of bugs, I know about :smiley: But I’m proud I prepared something to show for UDGJ#1. It gave my a glimpse of what people would think about a mix of puzzle with a platformer. So, the motivation to show as much features, that I would like to have in my game, as possible was very high :smiley:

The story behind the creation of this game is hidden behind the story about a young father of twins, who still wants to create a game of dreams in meantime. And thus this “meantime” is very short, the production goes very, very slow. I’m not worried about it, I spend as much time as I can, creating it and it is a fun and didactic time. I learned a lot about game development, design, and Defold is in my opinion the best tool to create games - why? Its community is great and I can feel personally attached to them, feeling like I could ask anything someone who is like a colleague to me - and not a developer, closed in a corporation without a contact with its clients. Defold is simple, yet complex tool, that anyone could dive in by small steps. Simple, because with current go/components system its easy to understand. Complex, because with every day I can learn something new about it and it’s very awesome and more and more professional. For me, it’s the best tool to learn from a beginner to a developer.

But getting back to the game. There were already several iteration of the game and each was refactored or completely new. It is because I’m learning during the development. The presented state was a prototype, where I used separated modules for movement and animation, but yet the attacks and collisions were fuzzy between many related scripts. So, my submission couldn’t be treated as other entries, but anyway the week of the jam was the most fruitful for this project and the whole combat and AI systems were made from scratch.

I would recommend to encapsulate things into reusable generic modules. I do not use collections in Defold, because it’s easy to create, but hard to handle then :confused: It’s because of different physics world for collections, I didn’t figure out the way to create a collection for each hero GOs that could work in a collection of a level, when it comes to physics and ground collisions. So I use game objects with components or sometimes factories for other game objects that are generic and reusable for both hero and mobs (like attacks).

The focus board is encapsulated completely in GUI. I do like Defold’s GUI system a lot, take a look at the HUD in game - it’s made completely of Defold’s GUI elements, like pie, texts and boxes. Some actions were originally supported by Gooey - a helpful library by @britzl, and still there are remains of this. I do love to use Defold’s asset. They are like an example, a way to solve different problems. For example all the kinematic movement around the tilemap is handled by another Bjorn’s module - Platypus. It applies both to the hero and enemies. Last asset I am using in this project is Rendercam - a modified version with lighting support, just from the forum. It was in the game from the beginning and probaby will stay there, because of how it’s useful :wink:

During that week I tried to implement boss behavior and design a combat that would show basic possibilities of a magic system, Therefore I was implementing on the go, adding functionalities I’ve listed in a to-do list, one by one, just where it was most convenient and easy to add. I’m happy I’ve managed to add 3 types of carriers for each of 4 element - so 12 spells for one jam! :sweat_smile: I had prepared fireball, so it was easy to modify it a little bit to create other projectiles. Each spell is a GO with collision object, light sprite, particlefx and a script to create a behavior and control its components. I used a prepared earlier campfire as a fire trap :wink: and then again, modified it a little bit for other elements. The trickiest was the earth’s trap - a ground block. I added there just another collision object that has the same properties as the ground in the tilemap, so enemies couldn’t jump over it, but a hero could :stuck_out_tongue:

At the end of the jam I added last kind of spell - buffs - effects that give the hero temporary advantages like damage or defense boost. It was also added on the go. The biggest advantage of Defold was in that time the ease of creation of particlefxs. To polish effect I added in the last days particle fxs for blood splash, dust, xp gain, buffs, and so on. Moreover, I added some basic sounds in the last day and I was surprised, I could add and play sounds with ease in Defold - this basic support was enough to add at least fundamental sound of attacks and steps. Though, I know it’s not polished I got the feedback anyway and will take care of this more in the future :wink:

So in this jam I focused on adding content instead of taking care about the clarity of my project :wink: It was a rush, but I’m very proud of it, as I discovered many bugs, features and dependencies that need to be solved/overcame/implemented to create a good and captivating game. It was a great kick for my project! :wink:

If you reached the end of this story, I appreciate it! Thanks! :wink:

10 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pixel Art Witchcrafter - RPG Puzzle Story

I’ll post a reply in the dev blog to keep this thread on topic.

3 Likes

I feel useful now! Not @britzl-useful or @sven-useful, but there needs to be a start :wink:
Also Pixel Art Witchcrafter game video comes out today in the evening.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see it! :smiley:

1 Like

Mkay, so the music is annoying. For the next episode I’ll do something about it. Like… change :wink:

Also we’ve just recorded a nice promenade around @britzl brain while he was explaining the structure of his jam game. Dunno yet if it ends up watchable. Probably will have to mix with the actual letsplay or something… Will see next week.

5 Likes

Wooow :smile: Thanks for the video, @Oleg_The_Evangelist so much! Seems like you get stuck and couldn’t move at all, but anyway the boss is killed :smiley: Unfortunately, after you pulled down the Focus board, a problem with controls occurs sometimes, so you are justified and I’m embarrassed! But it’s great to see you enjoying this and trying to figure out “what is going on here” :smile:

3 Likes