Unofficial Defold Game Jam #1

I’m going to make a boss rush game where you have to fight boss after boss. 2d platformer with pseudo 3d world. The gimmick will be that you cannot damage enemies directly, but instead enemies take damage over time depending on how close you are to their hit boxes. On the other hand, you die in one hit.

Those cubes are actually just a couple of sprites arranged in a cube shape. :slight_smile:

I’m using monarch, rendercam, fmod, and my (unreleased) platform movement hero script as a base, everything else is/will be done from scratch during jam.

15 Likes

yay! first progress already. So nice to see.
I’ll do my best to letsplay all the jam games for http://youtube.com/defoldvideos just like at LD42:

8 Likes

I’ll post my day 1 update here as well:

It’s going to be a mix between Knife Hit, Sword Shot and maybe some RPG elements.

10 Likes

What big number library do you use?

Here’s something related! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also have my implementation, but hoped there is a kind of “industry standard” that can be used as NE

This one looks good - https://github.com/ennorehling/euler/blob/master/BigNum.lua
But I don’t remember why I created my own…

4 Likes

Yours is impressive!

I think a lot of idle games cheat the big numbers though. They store the “tier” upgrade count for the numbers.

2 Likes

I put up playable builds for anyone interested in trying my project so far. Right now it’s only some platforming and exploration while I test some features out. Pixcade is the name I’ll be publishing non-casual games under in the future, some of my in progress Defold projects / pixel art projects are under it.

2 Likes

I don’t look in big numbers for now) Double is enought for jam)

4 Likes

It’s not mine :slight_smile:
I haven’t published mine yet, as it wasn’t tested in a real project.

4 Likes

The parallax depth of field stuff is a nice touch.

3 Likes

As encouraged by @Oleg_The_Evangelist I’m trying to create a first boss in my game to prepare a demo for you :smiley:

Day 1:
Well, until now it is very, very buggy, I added a boss as a regular mob’s instance, but its script is written from scratch. He has his name derived from a great polish general. Actually even the combat system is written from scratch, because of I was targeting mobiles and for Jam’s purposes I’ll create a landscape oriented demo :smiley: So, I removed everything from GUI and left only the essentials, and also added a boss’ health bar :muscle: Controls are changed to keyboard+mouse.

Day 2:
Hero can attack the boss with basic sword attacks and deals him damage. Hero is unvincible now and doesn’t get damage from the boss, so you can get closer, but of course it will be changed, so actually you’ll be scared to move so close :smiley: GUI is receiving informations about hero’s HP, EE (Elemental Energy) and XP (not implemented yet though). Added Finite State Machine to the boss, so he now waits for a hero to get in his FOV, then rush on him, then attacks when nearby - pretty straightforward, so must be more sophisticated :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Great to see the progress guys! Keep it coming :handshake: i’m gonna start tonight :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Is that UDGJ fancy font available somewhere, so I can write something in that way, right after the jam logo is showed? :wink:

The idea I’m working on so far is a couch multiplayer beat-em’-up (main char is a placeholder from double dragon). Didn’t get that far unfortunately, but it was fun to blot out a few pixels at least :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Uploaded update 2 - increases movement speed and improves jumping near walls.

Movement is based on dt so if there is a dt spike for whatever reason the player can go into or through walls in game breaking ways. Not sure best way to solve this but at least with immediate ray casting being supported now I should be able to check if the player would approximately move into or through geometry if there is a dt spike.

Gamepads still don’t work unless they are connected before launching engine. Wasn’t that planned to be fixed at some point?

Update 3 added jump forgiveness and some particles polish.

4 Likes

Not sure. @sven?

Day 2 Update (last night) - Boss has some configurable properties. Next step is to create some interesting movement/attack patterns.

10 Likes

It’s my own shaky scribbles, so no font available I’m afraid. :slight_smile: What do you want to write? Maybe I can throw something together.

5 Likes

Does not work on macOS: “The application “UDGJ1 - Pixcade Boss Rush.app” can’t be opened.”
And runs very fast (~10x times faster than normal) in Windows running in Parallels Desktop.

2 Likes