Teaser Fridays and Roadmap talks

Too bad Defold is not open source :slight_smile:

I bet you would have gotten an active community driven development contributions like Godot.
Godot’s commit activity graph on github has been steadily growing

3 Likes

You have no idea how much I agree with what you just said. :wink: Who knows what will happen in the future.

5 Likes

Hello everyone!

It’s Friday and time for another teaser from the engine team. This time we’re showing particlefx callbacks which can be used to get information about the different states a particlefx emitter goes through. This feature will be released with engine version 1.2.88 on Monday.

The supported states are EMITTER_STATE_SLEEPING, EMITTER_STATE_PRESPAWN, EMITTER_STATE_SPAWNING and EMITTER_STATE_POSTSPAWN.

go.property("sleep", 0)
local points = 100
local radius = 150
local index = 1
local effects = {}

function particle_callback(self, particlefx_url, emitter_id, state)
    if (state == particlefx.EMITTER_STATE_POSTSPAWN) then
        index = (index) % #effects + 1
        particlefx.play(effects[index], particle_callback)
    end
end

function init(self)
    local step = 2.0 / points
    local centerx = sys.get_config("display.width") / 2
    local centery = sys.get_config("display.height") / 2

for i = 0, points do
        local x = centerx + math.cos(i * step * math.pi) * radius
        local y = centery + math.sin(i * step * math.pi) * radius

effects[i] = factory.create("#factory", vmath.vector3(x, y, 0), nil, {})
    end

go.animate(nil, "sleep", go.PLAYBACK_ONCE_FORWARD, 1, go.EASING_LINEAR, 1, 10, function()
        particlefx.play(effects[index], particle_callback)
    end)
end

Regards,
The engine team through Jakob

14 Likes

Hello!

While everyone is eagerly awaiting the alpha release super duper early alpha release of editor 2, we still wanted to give everyone a sneak peak of some work-in-progress regarding animated collada models. :slight_smile:

Pictured: Defold running an exported animation and mesh from Blender.

Quite a bit left to do of course (very noticeable is the lacking of correct curve interpolation), but it might peak someones interest! :thumbsup:

17 Likes

Please make messaging elegant before working on 3D

4 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Defold message passing discussion

Hello,

This Friday we would like to put the spotlight on all work being made behind the scenes in order to let you focus on building great games! We are for example designing a brand new Git repository system to host your code. One of the big things that this new system addresses is network latency due to geographical distance. Our user base is spread all around our beautiful planet and we need to distribute the Git repositories close to the developer no matter where that might be. Local is key when it comes to reducing network latency.

So, keep creating great games and we take care of the rest!

/ Team Defold

11 Likes

Hi!

Lately, we have worked on adding a new game object component, the “Label” component.
In true teaser spirit, I won’t say more at this time, but instead present a sneak peek :smiley:

18 Likes

Hello everyone! It’s a rainy Friday in Stockholm and it’s time for another teaser from the engine team. This time we have two very different features to show you, spine cursor animation and multiple gamepads!

@Johan_Beck-Noren has been working on the (spine) cursor support which will allow for some new very cool features within a game and also reduce the complexity for existing implementations. As you can see in the gif below it’s possible to change the speed of an animation, set an explicit cursor position where the animation should start, animate the cursor to move between two animations and start multiple animations at different cursor positions.

@sven added support for multiple gamepads on desktop platforms, and built a game to show off the functionality. So far I’m the undisputed champion with a record of 268 kills to Svens 100-something kills. The gamepads on the left that shows the input from different players might be uploaded as an example later on.

Have a great weekend,
The Defold team through Jakob

10 Likes

Great! As an animator I especially like the cursor ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really cool, I look forward!!!

1 Like

Super!

2 features I have been pushing for for a long time. Couch multiplayer for the win!!

4 Likes

Awesome! Waiting for multiply gamepads support for a long time
What about gamepad support in HTML5, @jakob.pogulis?

3 Likes

One thing that I think would greatly help messaging is a readonly property on the object information window that shows the URL you need to use to message that object. This is something I struggled with at first and still sometimes have to try three or four urls to get the right one. I think the messaging is a great feature.

3 Likes

This is something that has been added to the new editor. Defold Editor 2.0

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Live Updates

10 posts were split to a new topic: Native Extensions

Since most things we’ve been working on are now announced, we had a special existential meeting today about what do we post about in our roadmap rumours thread. Kinds of… :sunglasses:

Indeed, what are the new features you’d be excited about in Defold? Or shall we just fix more bugs, improve features we have already?

6 Likes

I am waiting for :

• native extensions android/html5;
  • particles in GUI;
  • possibility to change resolution of game (using code from an app on win).

Nice to have:

Bugs:

9 Likes

My list:

• handling of hi-dpi/retina (@2x) assets
  • use the particle graph editor to generate curves to be played via code
  • complete the integration of box2d
  • complete the extension system
  • preset to quickly test different resolutions with the game running
  • better mobile html5 (?)
  • KEEP ROCKING!
8 Likes