Rive extension update

We’ve now updated the Rive extension with a new release 1.0.

This was a major step forward, with better performance and few smaller issues.
If you’ve reported issues before on Github, please review them and see if this release has fixed them.

Currently, you need the ALPHA version of the engine/editor which is available here:
http://d.defold.com/alpha/

Future updates:

• Texture mesh support (in the next few weeks)
  • Upcoming new rive renderer (single draw call for the rive scenes). Still in development by Rive. Should arrive H1 2023.
21 Likes

Awesome! I’ve been looking forward to this!

1 Like

Sounds cool!
Is Rive will support only GO? Any news or plans about GUI support?

Seems it can fit GUI perfectly with all animations and state machine inside

2 Likes

Currently, we only support GO yes.

Apart from layouts and node picking, what else would you need from the Rive support to use it like a gui?

Adding full upport in our gui will be a big effort which we haven’t planned for in the near future.

sidenote: In our (very long term) roadmap, we wish to sunset our current gui support, and move it into the gameobject world. The gui system costs us a lot of redundant effort, and we need to do something about it, and adding more stuff into it is not something we like to do if we can avoid it. However, this won’t happen anytime soon

7 Likes

I think about only basic support, like node picking and probably stencil nodes.

Even it sound cool and powerful, I can’t say it depends more attention that other features. Just nice feature that we can use but also can live without it.

Just asking about it, since Rive for me - thing only for GUI, nice animation and probably that’s all :slight_smile:

In our (very long term) roadmap, we wish to sunset our current gui support, and move it into the gameobject world. The gui system costs us a lot of redundant effort, and we need to do something about it, and adding more stuff into it is not something we like to do if we can avoid it. However, this won’t happen anytime soon

It’s very huge migration! Wonder how it possible to implement. Sounds as thing that can make development for Defold team faster, but can’t imagine this in general :slight_smile:

Heard about this several times, but it’s really interesting about possible ways to do this

3 Likes

Indeed. I’d say “bit by bit”, and “very slowly”. We’d have to implement similar features in the GO world one by one. E.g. anchoring of elements with respect to a “frame”, clipping support for sprites, easier input vs object “picking”.

6 Likes

Thank you for the update! :heart:
Good news - I can now open example project from extension-rive repo!
Bad news - it crashes when building :frowning:

Added comment to my previously reported problem (might be worth separating to other issue, if this is unrelated):

Screenshot:

1 Like

However, you didn’t try the release I linked which is version 1.0.

It is a prerelease since Defold 1.4.3 is not out yet.

5 Likes

The 1.4.3 beta is now available, please give it a try! Also check out the Rive sample game:

7 Likes