Mena: Learn Tigrinya

I’m not sure how this will all play out but I need a simpler and more fundamental game than a side scroller. Ironically enough side scrollers are really easy games, just not for me lol.

I want to go through the whole build process and not start with a template. We’ll see how practical that is lol

Anyways this project is also for my kids. I’m Eritrean and the native language is called Tigrinya.

English has 26 letters, Tigrinya has over 100. Try teaching that to a 3 year old lol

I created these characters a year ago and thought I’d try creating a mobile app out of them now that I know about DEFOLD.

The concept is simple. Let the child tap on each letter and a voice will say the letter and a word that contains the letter for context.

Below is a link to the YouTube Video I created about 1 year ago. Now I’ll work on making that a Mobile Learning Game!

YouTube Link:

8 Likes

Cool project! Good luck with it :slight_smile:

PS. 100 letters? Wow, that’s really a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s the general layout and style I’m looking to accomplish.
Each unique letter has a family of 7 letters. This is the ‘B’ family.
I’m thinking of organizing each family into a collection; kind of like a level.

I’ll experiment on how to transition. Initially I was thinking a swipe to the next family but we’ll see what’s possible.
I was also thinking of preloading the next couple of families so they are ready for access but that’s sooooo far down the road. For now I’ll just start coding and just try to get one level/collection working well.

Cheers friends,

1 Like

Built the skeleton inside Defold and just left the animation looping for now.
The idea is to present a certain frame of the animation on tap/click.

I’m sure I can find better ways to do it later but I just want to get everything wired right for now ^^

2 Likes

Nice one, @FILMon! Really cute characters too, very creative.

The structure of Tigrinya letters seems very similar to the Japanese Hiragana/Katakana systems with consonants are succeeded by a set order or vowels, see image below:

I’m sure there are hundreds of “Learn Hiragana” apps/programs which you could study for inspiration, if you’re struggling with “gameplay mechanics”. Or maybe @Tomires has some learnings, given his game Kanji Adventures.

3 Likes

Awesome Axel! Thanks for the support!!!

2 Likes

Hello @FILMon ,

judging by your comment on my forum post you have already read about my game, so I will skip the introductions. :smiley:

As @Axel have previously pointed out, Tigrinya seems pretty similar to hiragana. There are some games on the market that provide interactive minigames which aim to teach the two syllabary systems in Japanese (although one could argue that you can learn the whole set in two evenings or less :slight_smile: ). Some of the examples I have come across in the past can be found in my thesis , where I conduct an analysis on a couple educational videogames. There is also a game called Learn Japanese with Tako, which is basically a collection of casual minigames that might be a bit closer to what you are aiming for. I haven’t played it myself though, so I can’t tell if it is good or not.

Gameplay-wise I don’t think I will be much help as the learning element in my game is tied to RPG mechanics, which I feel is something a little different that what you are trying to do. That isn’t to say that you can’t incorporate certain elements, like bonus items or experience system. I can however give you some general tips.

One issue which I am not sure how I would approach in regards to your game concerns display of pronunciation in text form (or lack there of). As you have mentioned in your first post that the target demographic of your game are children, I am not sure if standardized pronunciation symbols are the way to go. You might have to make do with sound effects in hope that players will create associations between the visual element (characters) and audio (voice). Also, certain characters seem (to my untrained eye) almost indistinguishable from one another (ra vs. ri), which might pose some issues on displays with lower resolution. I really like the idea of presenting a small subset of characters in a query rather than facing the player with all 150+(?) options or a full-size keyboard and I think it goes hand in hand with the minimalistic feel of your game, which is indeed very lovely.

When it comes to repetition management, it is best to use the Leitner system, but any custom algorithm that keeps track of player’s success rates on individual characters / phrases should do. The key in all educational games (and apps) is to motivate the player to practice what they have already learned rather than just continue to learn new things. Make sure you incorporate a system that doesn’t let the player progress any further until they have demonstrated knowledge of previously learned characters.

Good luck with your game, I look forward to a playable build! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow super thanks for taking the time to reply so thoughtfully Tomires! I really appreciate it!

Yeah I think this is going to be a nice filler project for me to understand GUIs and the IDE in general better. Once I publish to IOS and Android I’ll go back to Cloud Rider and apply lessons learned.

I want to make Cloud Rider a legend like Zelda and I’m willing to partner and take my time to do so ^^

I’m Eritrean so it’ll be unique to the people just like this language game. I’m in marketing by trade so I’m designing the whole campaign for releasing it.

Thanks again for all the support!!!

2 Likes

Hey friends update ^^

My journey to building my first game for my son has gone from side-scroller on DEFOLD to click game on DEFOLD which is is still a little over my head lol. Customer is never wrong ^^ if it’s not my level it’s not my level.

So I took another step backwards, sometimes you have to do that to move forward I suppose and ran into a game engine called PlayCanvas which is a browser engine so I thought I might be able to do use that to continue learning programming mobile instead of having to be at home to work on the game and it too was very complicated although I really like the concept. Maybe something DEFOLD can become in the future, browser engine ^^

Anyways, one of my newly made friends on itch, thanks to the DEFOLD team for encouraging me to participate in the Jam, told me they made their game on Game Maker Studio 2 so I checked it out and I like it. I’m going to take some time and learn game concepts in that system for now and see what I can build. They use their own language so I thought it was a little strange but I’ve never been put off by new languages for some reason I understand the underlying synax easily, I mean a function is a function and a property is a property lol

I’ll check my forum posts every now and then to see if anyone wants to partner on the Cloud Rider game and in the meantime I’ll try and learn enough to build that first simple game ^^

I wanted to at least provide an update to this awesome community which by the way is one of the most activate from all three forums I’ve seen ^^

Cheers friends,
Filmon

2 Likes

It would be great when you’ve had some more time to play around with Game Maker if you could write a post with your thoughts on the pros and cons of Game Maker 2 and Defold. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks Britzl!

I’ll definitely post about my experience. I’ll do the same about PlayCanvas if I use it on any level as well!

here’s what I’ll attempt ^^

Each level will address one family of letters ^^

Cheers friends

4 Likes