archive_location_filter: function( path ) {
				return ("archive" + path + "");
			},
            engine_arguments: ["--config=test.my_value=12345"],
			splash_image: "splash_image.png",
			custom_heap_size: 268435456
		}

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Live Update and large files on HTML5 not working (DEF-2516)

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/how-defold-helps-indie-devs-perform-live-updates-with-aws-presented-by-amazon
This is a sponsored session and shall be available without GDC Vault subscription later on.

Also everyone at GDC is welcome to Amazon booth in South hall and Defold booth PL1 at GDC Play, North Hall.

3 Likes

Aaaaaand here’s @britzl showing Live Updates at Amazon booth: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125868526?t=05h38m55s

5 Likes

heeere we gooo - http://gdcvault.com/play/1024382
@britzl explains Live Updates at GDC. The full talk.

5 Likes

Live Updates is literally a game changer!

(I’ll show myself out)

4 Likes

I want to know if the functionalities mentioned here are available or not? The live updates manual just mentioned we can exclude resources belong to a collection proxy, and the resource api resource.get_current_manifest seems just return the “excluded resources” information. Can we generate manifest for the new version? Can we update the lua modules?

It’s not available yet but I believe that @Johan_Beck-Noren might soon produce some tricks from up his sleeve.

As @sicher said, the ability to load and use a new manifest and update the game with new content that way is being developed as we speak. It is a big task though so no definitive ETA I’m afraid. But we really aim to finish it soon since it adds a powerful feature to LiveUpdate.

2 Likes

Thanks @sicher and @Johan_Beck-Noren for the quick replay. It is possible to bundle the new game content locally and generate a “manifest” by myself and use resource.store_resource() to update the game? You may know the apple store review often take weeks so we are highly dependent on the live update for the online activities of the festival.

As it is today you cannot change or update the manifest that is bundled with the game. This means that you cannot, with liveupdate, add or change resources that were not listed in the original bundled manifest. This new feature will let you do just that.

More info on the manifest: https://www.defold.com/manuals/live-update/#_the_manifest

2 Likes

Thanks @Johan_Beck-Noren for the clarification.

2 Likes

perhaps I can resurrect the old Live Update topic. The feature is shipped by now - you can create and ship new content to your live games without updating the client.

Did anybody actually try the feature? If not, what stopped you? Any concerns/questions?
@Johan_Beck-Noren and I are recording a video next week, and are thinking about additional angles to cover.

6 Likes

Hello @jakob.pogulis,

After reading the live update descriptions, there are some unclear points for me. Would you please take a look and help to give some feedback?
:grinning:, thanks for your kind help.

1. live update settings
    There are two modes in the editor and one is the “Zip” model in which I get the zip for the excluded collection proxy in my project. After decompressing the file, there are the liveupdate manifest file and lots of hash named resource files.

I didn’t get the point for this zip mode. What’s the difference to the AWS mode? Can the engine do the check and start updating the manifest file from a local zip file? Or the AWS is the only place to hold this liveupdate manifest file currently? This is important for me. If yes, I can do a complete live update test offline using this zip mode.

1. Updating the manifest with Live update
    There are a version mechanism to detect whether the bundle has been changed in the manual page:

Starting the engine for the first time after a manifest has been stored will create a bundle identifier file bundle.ver next to the manifest. This is used to detect whether the bundle has changed since the manifest was stored, for example after a full app store update. If this is the case the stored manifest will be deleted from the filesystem and the newer bundled manifest will be used instead. This means that a full app store update will delete any previously stored manifest. Any existing Live update resources will however remain untouched.

How does the engine check this version? I assumed that the engine first takes a look at the project live update setting and knows that another live update manifest file(local file or url) is present. The engine decides whether the live update manifest file shall be download(or copy) according to the version. There is a tip about the fake code from the manual page.

If the zip mode in the question 1 does not work, can I use a local file server instead of the AWS for test? The only thing for the engine is to know how and where to get the file.

1. storage of the live update and bundled manifest file
    If the live update manifest file is dowloaded successfully, is it stored in another path without overriding the bundle one via the resource.store_manifest API? If not, do the engine get the correct file depending a special search path priority?

There is also a description for the verification.

When storing a new manifest the manifest data will be verified before it is actually written to disk. The verification consists of a number of checks:
Correct binary file format.
Supports the currently running engine version or any other supported version entry from the settings.
Cryptographic signature.
Signed using the same public-private key pair as the bundled manifest.

If the key and supported version is not filled in the project settings, what happens when call the resource.store_manifest API?

1. get the missing file of a collection proxy
    How does this API collectionproxy.missing_resources(collectionproxy) calculate the missing file count? Check the hash of all resource in the bundle(live update if there is one)manifest file and try finding it? Will an changed resource with a new hash be treated as a missing file?

2. download a single file
    After getting the count of the files to be download, is it possible to get more information? Like the total and already downloaded size of the files which could be used to indicate the downloading progress? In the production environment, a single download might be failed due to the network satus. A retry mechanism as part of the error handling might be important.

3. store the download file
    Does the API resource.store_resource store the download file some where like the save-file path on different operating system? Or it just modify the bundled one?
    If there a save path, when a excluded resource is updated for several times, will the old versions which do not match the latest live update manifest file be deleted automatically?

6 Likes

@Johan_Beck-Noren and I will record a video on Tuesday on Live Updates. We’ll go through your questions. And will see how we can improve the manual.

Thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

Great questions! I’ll try to answer them one by one.

The API for Live update does not make any assumptions on how or where to store your excluded resources. The Amazon AWS integration is there as a convenience if you prefer to server the resources on S3, but you are free to unpack the zipped resources and serve them anyway you like. I often spin up a local web server when testing stuff locally.

Basically, the version file writes the signature of the bundled manifest the first time the app starts. For every subsequent app start we check if the bundled manifest signature matches the signature written to file. If they don’t match it means the bundled app has changed (been updated). It is simply some logic to check if an app update has occurred and in that case to purge any locally store manifest file and fall back to the bundled manifest.

It is up to the user to supply a new manifest to the engine. We do not download a new manifest for you, you must host it yourself and download in (for example with http) and supply it with resource.store_manifest.

Yes, any stored manifest and liveupdate resources are persisted on local storage. The bundled manifest and resources resides inside the APK on Android for example, which we can’t really modify or overwrite in runtime. At engine start, we check the local storage for any manifest file and load that one instead of the bundled one.

The callback supplied to resource.store_manifest will be called with the status argument telling you want went wrong.

For every resource the collection needs to load, a lookup is done for the resource hash in the resource archive index. Any missing resource hash will be put in a list and returned. A modified resource will generate a different hash and therefore be treated as a different resource.

Currently no, the only available information about a missing resource is its hash. But since the user is responsible for hosting the missing resources it should be possible to for example query your server about the size of a file. The API is pretty lean in that regard and leaves the hosting-and-storing totally up to the user.

Yes, the actual resource data is stored on local storage, the same path as any liveupdate manifest. On desktop it is the app data folder, on device it is on local storage.

A modified resource will produce a new hash and will therefore be treated as a different resource. There is no state where we track different versions of the “same” resource, since they are not the same.

I have it in my TODO though to implement some kind of purging or unloading of liveupdate resources that might not be needed anymore or for some other reason needs to be removed from local storage. DEF-3114 tracks this feature.

11 Likes

Johan, thanks for your kind answers. The game now can do the live update using a local file server successfully.

The total game is about 80MB and the bootstrap(main) collection does not contain any game resource but only an excluded collection proxy which is the real entry of the game. In this entry collection, there are several collection proxies for different scenes. So the run time sequences for the first start are:

1. Game start and get the version from the server including live update resource
  2. Download and store the live update manifest file
  3. Try to load the entry colloection and find that there are missing resource
  4. Download all missing resources and load the entry collection
  5. Try to load a scene colloection and find that there are missing resource
  6. Download all missing resources and load the scene collection
  7. Repeat 5~6

My target for the live update is to keep the ability to update most of the resources. Due to this limitaiton from the manual, I have to use this run time sequences and set all real game resources as excluded. So the first bundled game is an empty shell.

Is it possible to update a resource which is not marked as exclued? For example, the first bundled game contains a base version which holds most of the resources which are stable(like image, sound and 3D model, non source code resource). And it’s still able to do a live update for the resources in this bundled game using a priority mechanism(the resource in the save fold has high priority then the one in the bundled game). Then the first bundle application is a minimum playable game without additional downloading data. The size of the application might be 40MB which contains 80% usage of the game. Only the user who really triggers the scene needing a live update. Always downloading missing files one by one for a collection proxy really costs time. The purpose is to find a balance between the bundle size and live update size and try reduce the interruption.

Thanks a lot for your help.

3 Likes

Great that you are using this feature!

Im not sure I understand the question fully though.

It is not possible to modify the content in the bundle, so updating the bundled resources will not work. But I think it would be possible to do achieve something similar with Liveupdate by instead modifying what resources an excluded collectionproxy points to.

At build-time we create a resource graph mapping all dependencies between resources. This allows us to differ between resources that are only referenced in excluded collection proxies from those needed in the bundle. If for example a “model” resource if referenced in a bundled collection AND excluded collections, it will not be excluded since it is needed in the bundle.

1. For the resources to be included in the bundle at all they need to be referenced by a collection somwhere, otherwise they are disregarded when bundling. You can then have excluded collection proxies which references these bundled resources if you like.
  2. These excluded collections could then be modified to contain/reference other resources. These resources along with the new manifest could then be pushed to the client, making the collection point to these new resources instead of the bundled ones.

The main point with the caveat is that any new manifest cannot contain changes to bundled resources. For example, you shipped with manifest A with a bootstrap collection “main.collection” that has hash A. You publish this to the app store. Later on you make some changes to “main.collection” (resulting in hash B) and publish manifest B with a ref. to new bootstrap collection to your client. When your game boots with manifest B it will try and find the resource with hash B in the bundle, but the shipped bundle does not have any hash B (the engine cannot find any bootstrap collection in this case, and will abort loading).

There is no versioning of resources. If you modify a resource it will generate a different hash and thus be treated as a new resource.

NOTE Liveupdate has collectionproxy-granularity so it’s only possible to exclude whole collections (and their resources), not individual resources. In theory you could of course have collections containing single resources, but it seems a bit impractical.

9 Likes

also here’s a video about Live Update and I am working on a new one to be uploaded tomorrow.

3 Likes