King driven opportunities for teams using Defold

Yes, I am also not claiming anything sinister :wink:

Also, I totally share your concerns for “competence, transparency and appropriateness” :thumbsup:

And when the time comes, I will certainly appreciate the help Oleg is offering :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s very simple. If you want our help sharing knowledge about your game, tell us what you’re comfortable sharing.

If you need other kinds of help, just ask. If you don’t want to talk about the particulars of a game - don’t. We might be able to help in other ways.

11 Likes

While this nice thread is on a philosophy side now, maybe let’s try to talk about “what if” theories now?

What if… OK. Imagine. You’re working on a game, it is still like 3 to 6 months away from the release. And then you see a banner (AdWords or similar) on a random website with the screenshot of your game (you had submitted this screenshot to us a while ago for public use) and Defold logo. And there are other banners with screenshots of other games #MadeWithDefold. Clicking on these banners leads to a page at defold.com.

Would you be happy that (probably relevant) people on the internet see art from your game or would you be for whatever reasons unhappy?

Okaaay, some teams were very much up for this. Here are the banners. Did you notice that on the internets?

Also here’s a demo of an ad at an industry event. The version with “Make better games” instead of “Build something” went to print.

15 Likes

Very nice! The banners are really inviting I think.

2 Likes

yeah! saw this lately at Facebook! It’s great :smiley:

3 Likes

We’re tried out a new concept that we pay for a sponsorship that includes the booth, ad impressions and leaflets. Everything is given away to indies immediately. It all went well so far. We’re having another trial of this concept later this month.

15 Likes

I love seeing so many great Defold games literally covering the walls!

4 Likes

It was great!
Thank you @Oleg_The_Evangelist and King company for this opportunity! It was a very useful conference for us!

10 Likes

Hopefully one day my game will be in a wall like that :wink: Thanks @Oleg_The_Evangelist, @britzl and King!

6 Likes

Some of the game banners in the wilds. We don’t do proper redirects to facilitate game installs, as we’re just testing out the concepts. But at the very least, Defold devs get their game art/brand seen by people on the internet.

As usually, all comments and ideas are welcome.

5 Likes

Well, be sure to keep your dev diary on the forums, so we know your Defold game is awesome.
Do post nice screenshots and art in your dev diary. Keep it alive.

We’re quite early in that “opportunities” thing and are just paving the way. So no processes, lots of pivots, give or take =]

8 Likes

This is a printed ad for a 15000 people game show gameon.lt happening in Vilnius next week. We’ve donated two expo spaces for Defold-loving indies - one on the expo floor, one on the developer zone.

8 Likes

Defold indie booth at gameon.lt in Vilnius

Printed ad and a leaflet in the official giveaway. Printed in 10000+ copies.

13 Likes

Here’s a nice retrospective on a White Nights conference where we’ve been with a booth. Explains some of possibilities in detail:

1 Like

The thread is silent, but we’ve been very busy. Below are the ads we made for games participating in our cross-promo. They’re on the first wave of getting players from King games.

4 Likes

Suddenly Smash Bash is on the cover for TSA: http://www.thesixthaxis.com

And the article itself.

11 Likes

Thank you for the hard work and endless support. To Oleg and to the Defold team.

You guys will always meet some initial mistrust because of the King thing, but your actions and integrity will eventually win the indie dev community over.

It is a shame that such a great engine and group of people must have a shadow of a doubt hanging over them due to bad pr in the past, but is also inspiring to see the incredible support and generosity that king is willing to offer after all.

I think that once the offline mode and github mode become built into the engine, people will start to have more trust in king’s presents and stop looking for the catch

13 Likes

I think the best confirmation for us that we are on the right track and for new users to want to join in is that you all continue to build great games on Defold and that you are successful.

I am amazed by many of the entries to the GDC competition and really look forward to see what’s coming! Keep on keeping on (creating)!

14 Likes

Somehow I got into a whirlwind of everything and forgot to update the thread with what we’ve been doing. But then such approach probably shows we’re much more keen on tech than PR.

But here are two small things to keep the thread alive -

1. http://gdcvault.com/play/1024382 - our GDC talk with lots of Defold games mentioned.
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62XJmB56hSg - my dedicated talk about Defold games at PGConnects London. (Beware, I had too much coffee before leaping on the stage)
  3. http://toucharcade.com/2017/03/06/gdc-2017-games-from-the-defold-competition/ - Defold games reviewed by Eli from TA at GDC.
5 Likes