Join the Defold and Yandex.Games Jam 2021

For me it looked like bug (pun intended), rather than gameplay feature. Maybe it’s just needs to be smoother. But anyway, I can speak only for myself. Maybe others will be ok with that)

1 Like

It is now a feature :smiley: I added a “debug” button to change the behavior of the controls, so thank you very much for the idea :wink:

Hello! This my game on the gam jam. Good luck!

8 Likes

Any idea what could I do with this? Why the touch input is not detected on iOS? (In the end, I see I could disable iOS platform on Yandex)

or this? :frowning:

I run itch version on my iphone: music button works well, other buttons, like level selection does not work. Also, if after starting the game you firstly press on music button and then on first level, then it loads. But central button does not work, only button in top menu. Something wierd)

The FPS might get throttled when in the background? Or you get a huge delta time when you come back.

Are you pausing the game when focus is lost?

1 Like

Following the trope here, I added the callback for focus losing:

function window_callback(self, event, data)
	if (event == window.WINDOW_EVENT_FOCUS_LOST) then
		msg.post("main:/level_"..global.level.."#collectionproxy", "set_time_step", {factor = 0, mode = 1})
	elseif (event == window.WINDOW_EVENT_FOCUS_GAINED) then
		slide_popup(0, true)  -- pause menu
	end
end

and in init:

window.set_listener(window_callback)

This solves the issue. I also added a slider setting for changing a power of the force applied to the ball, so this could also solve the issue on Windows devices

1 Like

While my game on first moderation, you can check it here!

Meet the “Sea Battle: Universe”. We publish on this month only basics (game versus bot with restricted content). Soon will be added multiplayer and more features! I hope so :smiley:

And here twitter thread with some pictures/gifs from development:

15 Likes

Fantastic art direction on this one!

3 Likes

Our game pass the moderation.
Avoid evil robots and reboot computers
Team:
d954mas
Anna Matrosova(art)
Denis(art)

16 Likes

Games tagged “game jam 21”:

3 Likes

For some reason, the tag was removed from my entry during moderation :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

So I fixed almost all issues, but still have two issues to pass the moderation - ads and saving progress.

Yandex is claiming that Ads are still not enabled. I created an account on Yandex Ad Network and is there something more I need to do in order to enable it? In code I have a chunk using yagames.adv_show_fullscreen_adv as in the example. I see no process regarding some kind of joining the created account with the source code - is there anything like this?

Regarding progress - I don’t know how could I sustain it using Yandex SDK - could you please share some knowledge or ideas here?

Might be worth checking the browser console for errors regarding ads.

For saving progress, I just used sys.load/sys.save to store the data in the browser’s cache. The game passed moderation with just that.

2 Likes

How could I do this before I pass the moderation? Is the game available somewhere on Yandex to check out how it is working with Yandex SDK?

Thank you so much for the tip regarding saving Ben!

Yes, scroll down to where it says ‘File Verified’ in blue and click that.

4 Likes

Thank you so much Ben! I debugged it and now the ads are shown:

Let’s try with the moderation once again :smiley:

10 Likes

One message appearing in the console when ads are not working has some useful tips, maybe it could resolve someone’s issue, so I’ll leave it here: :wink:

3 Likes

Finally completed the Yandex moderation and the game is live now :tada:

14 Likes

Just finished working on my entry and sent it for review.

Lacking free time, I started working on it quite late, only in the second half of November. And I decided to do some advanced 3D graphics with Defold. I wanted to implement at least some part of PBR rendering. For that I’ve made a native extension that directly uses OpenGL in parallel with Defold’s renderer using parts of the Raylib library. Two weeks of suffering and I’ve made it work. It can actually work in several ways - either completely take over rendering, render to Defold’s render target and display on a quad with the regular renderer or have the renderer from the native extension but with the Defold GUI rendering on top.

At first I used the variant with the render target but it produces visual artifacts in Safari. So I switched to the last variant, which works surprisingly well.

I can load GLTF/GLB, OBJ models and MTL materials. The problem is that there are no readily available shaders that are easy to integrate. It’s definitely possible though. At the moment I have more basic lighting than I wanted. Still looks great for such a small game.

Postponing the deadline was very welcome, I wouldn’t have made it otherwise. Spent one week to actually implement the gameplay.

Only the 3D renderer comes from the extension. Scripting, physics, sound, gui is all regular Defold.

I will upload a sample 3D scene to GitHub with my setup for anyone interested later on.

Quite a challenge on top of a challenge! I’m very glad I could pull it off in time. Hopefully the review will be fast as well.

17 Likes