Fates of Ort - retro fantasy RPG

Signed up with written reports, though I wouldn’t mind recording something too if I have the time.

2 Likes

Signed up too! Looks cool

1 Like

Most recent version of the credits for Fates of Ort. Just a small nod of thanks to @britzl, @Pkeod, @Adam_Westman, and the Defold team in general!

14 Likes

I have sent some invitations for beta testing out already. Those of you that I have reached out to - please play the game and let me know what you think and if you encounter any bugs!

If anyone else is interested, please sign up here: https://forms.gle/qJVeCVS8kbyNnbWv8

3 Likes

Hello I find very interesting the things you mention on how creating your game. I also took tiled when I read it here, only I wanted ask you is collision on tiles put it inside defold? or you do it in tiled. I sign up also to see your game even if I don’t play rpg but I like how I saw in videos the fight and I wanted look it. Me I like more turn-based strategy and strategy. Thank you and keep up the good work

3 Likes

I have created my own system, so it is probably quite different from most things and should be regarded with skepticism :slight_smile:

In Tiled, I have a layer called “Collision”. This will not be shown in the game, but will allow me to mark tiles as “not walkable”.

Layers have custom properties set by me. The collision layer has the collision property ticked.

I export my maps into .lua files, and then process those in my game. When my script reaches a layer tagged as “collision”, it does not spawn any tiles with sprites. Instead, it populates a two-dimensional table with 0s and 1s, where one number represents “walkable” and the other “not walkable”. I don’t use Defold collisionobjects to create these boundaries, instead I convert game object positions into the tile location, and check if the game object is allowed to be there or not.

6 Likes

Very nice thank you for sharing your approach with me. I still have much to learn and spend time in forum to find things. Thanks

3 Likes

I done sign up but didn’t came sth for press to play. Thanks

Coverage by Nookrium on YouTube. This week the game is going out to press and a handful of selected influencers.

7 Likes

Coverage by SplatterCatGaming - big deal because his channel is very big. The commentary was great too, I really enjoyed it.

7 Likes

Aaaaaaand we are live! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

Two and a half years of hard work!

I want to thank everyone here. From the Defold devs to extension makers to people answering questions on the forum. You have been a tremendous help. :sparkling_heart:

22 Likes

Congratulations!!!

5 Likes

Maybe the sales be with you! :tada:

2020-03-31%2010_24_00-Thank%20you%20for%20your%20Steam%20purchase!

6 Likes

:open_mouth: Thank you! All your extensions have already helped so much, and now this! :sob:

6 Likes

I’d say that overall the reception of the game has been very positive, but it’s clearly not everyone’s cup of tea :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Some people have real issues, and bec sitting and scratching on a couch they think can criticise other work , if does not like then to ask a refund, but not write such things!!! really the world gone mad :hear_no_evil:. thanks and @Alex_8BitSkull keep up the good work

3 Likes

Don’t worry @Alex_8BitSkull, I’ve just read a lot of devs’ confessions today - after their release, they were worried about reviews, comments, views and so on - a work that is rated by people is and always will be stressful. To cheer you up, even a game like The Witcher or GTA V have negative reviews written by people, who simply didn’t like the game, even though they sometimes write that they appreciate the work (which is at least very kind).

3 Likes

Thanks to both of you. To be clear - well over 90% of the comments are nothing but positive. I posted this particular one because I find it outrageously funny.

Besides - I grew up posting some downright garbage on Newgrounds, so I am very accustomed to handling harsh (to put it politely) criticism :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

also as said in other post @Pawel you have a nice badge I hope soon , :smile: , maybe after two or three years as I am alone dev only good friends of community help to earn me too this badge!!! thanks and be well

@Alex_8BitSkull I bought also your game to help your work and to play also even if I like more strategy , thanks and be well

4 Likes

Oh @Elpidoforos_Gkikas, thank you very much for the support :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I hope you enjoy the game even if it isn’t your normal taste!

3 Likes