Faerie Solitaire Harvest

Not sure what to do about this, it’s something new - https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/9285070#label

Could you send me some screenshots of what you see?

Maybe a portrait mode would be possible in the future… :slight_smile:

Not sure what to do with the icon either, the store lists new requirements for it. Maybe a manifest issue?

Thank you for playing!

This is intentional in the demo version although maybe I should make the text not look like a text entry. The reason is I removed the font with more glyphs to save on download size. Maybe I should cut the profile stuff entirely for the demo?

This should be fixed in latest version… I hope. :slight_smile:

2019-08-24%2011_43_47-Faerie%20Solitaire%20Harvest%20Free%20-%20Apps%20on%20Google%20Play

Adding the demo there is next on my todo. I’ll try to improve the keywords more.

Thank you for playing!

1 Like

Ah, good catch! I’m so used to not using wilds that I never tested that when I changed how some of the input stuff worked. Will investigate why it’s not working…

Tell you what - if it does not reach $100 a month before end of this year I will delete the demo for sure and make a F2P version with microtransactions, but keep the premium version too without any of them. But I will still continue to try to get it to $100 for demo/premium for now. :innocent:

2 Likes

Fix for wilds is now published, will take a few hours min to go live based on previous update times.

Got first sale for FSH on Amazon App Store! :tada:

5 Likes

Submitted Faerie Solitaire Harvest Free to Amazon App Store now.

There is no built in way to detect Amazon App Store vs Google Play at the moment? Should be under sys.get_sys_info ?

I also modified keywords as suggested. Reddit recommended kwfinder com free account. You get a few searches a day for free, and it’s all you need to get good ideas.

1 Like

You can also try AppAnnie to see how your own and other apps are ranking for keywords.

And congrats on the sale!

1 Like

There is iap.get_provider():

1 Like

Is this safe to use if I disable the IAP stuff in manifest?

Edit: Tested and it appears to be no issue.

FULL_VERSION_URL = "http://www.subsoap.com"

if iap then
	local provider = iap.get_provider_id()
	if provider == iap.PROVIDER_ID_AMAZON then
		FULL_VERSION_URL = "http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/dl/android?p=com.subsoap.fsh"
	elseif provider == iap.PROVIDER_ID_GOOGLE then
		FULL_VERSION_URL = "https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.subsoap.fsh"
	elseif provider == iap.PROVIDER_ID_APPLE then
	end
end
1 Like

I guess you should be able to used sys.get_config()as well:

sys.get_config("android.iap_provider")

1 Like

Now up to 4 sales on Amazon App Store! :fire:
I think it is probably keywords leading to the sales so thank you for mentioning them. Hopefully it’s consistent long term without needing much tending.

2019-08-27%2002_53_35-Amazon%20Best%20Sellers_%20Best%20Card%20Games

In the same period Google Play version only got 1 sale plus a few more refunds. :upside_down_face:

There really have not been enough installs on the demo versions yet to see their impact. I’ll begin doing some marketing for them soon but have not done so yet.

Also good news that the fake Amazon review got removed.

The previous method I posted to see if a program was running is not viable since it flashes cmd console unfortunately. Now I am using https://github.com/subsoap/defprocess and it seems to work without issue.

At the moment we’ve been signing contracts with various casual portals and preparing builds/marketing assets for distribution and promotion. Casual portals will likely make the lion’s share of this game too since the %s are so much in their favor… just the way it is. But on the bright side even though they are not as big as they used to be even one casual portal might make more than Steam has so far.

5 Likes

Unfortunately I didn’t know free downloads counted in the total app sale graph. Actually FSH only has sold 2 copies on Amazon, the rest are free version downloads.

Here is up to date Google Play.

Demo version has gotten 14 installs I think on Google Play so far? Not sure if any converted to sales. Obviously data is way too low to make real conclusions and needs a marketing push to get more useful data.

No new sales on itch but here is current data.

Putting up a demo on Steam soon just to see what impact it might have.

Also getting FSH on macOS App Store and iOS App Store. Both will be full version for $9.99 each first. I expect that iOS sales will be much stronger than Android.

I was reading Super Mario Run reviews again recently. It was a free to download $9.99 IAP to unlock full version game. So many 1 star reviews are people complaining about having to buy $10 to unlock the full version. It’s probably why Nintendo has embraced F2P mechanics so much in their more recent mobile games, easier to make money and not make people angry for going against the norms.

2019-08-31%2002_45_53-Super%20Mario%20Run%20-%20Apps%20on%20Google%20Play

5 Likes

That is the most bizarre review I’ve ever seen! It is very sad that players have gotten so used to F2P that no one seems willing to pay for mobile games…

8 Likes

Is that 4750 likes on that review too? Mind-boggling…

3 Likes

This is so disrespectful. I wonder what that person would say if his/her boss would tell him/her that he/she is so greedy and want money for his/her job instead of giving it for free. And that makes his/her boss angry.

3 Likes

Many people think that to make games and to play games almost the same. I have bunch of similar reviews in Russian for my games.
Also, In Russian GameDev community a few screenshots of similar reviews already become a meme.

4 Likes

A HTML5 version of the free version is now live on itch! It’s really surprising how good it looks and how well it plays even as a web version even as highly compressed in some areas…

7 Likes

Still working on getting iOS version live. Tested now and it all just works! I didn’t have to do any platform specific stuff really to make it work besides setting up icons and launch images.

For the launch images I used all solid black. The game doesn’t instantly load but on a first gen iPad Retina it’s about 3 seconds which is fine. On an iPhone 5 it’s about 2 seconds so probably newer devices would be even faster.

launch_images.zip (60.5 KB)

I used the certificate and provisioning profile downloaded from the developer site. I downloaded the iOS Distribution cert with xcode. I uploaded to Apple with xcode uploader tool. Tested with testflight. You don’t have to wait for them to review you can use your developer accounts if you add them here. To upload to apple it’s important to use something like “iPhone Distribution: Team Name (…)” and not “Developer ID Application: Team Name (…)” like I was doing otherwise you’ll get codesign errors when uploading… :innocent:

2019-09-03%2016_31_44-App%20Store%20Connect

Via @dapetcu21 for uploading dev ipa to phone. I also asked about the folder structure because of platform specific loading. It’s nice that it’s simple on iOS.

You can also use xcode (via the “Devices and Simulators” window) like docs say. Although testflight works too (thanks to @sergey.lerg for pushing me to try it) and is a little easier for testing on multiple devices quickly. Last time I used testflight was back when it was another company and not a built in part of the system. Now it’s way more convenient!

I have to make a few specific to iOS changes such as removing the exit button on the main menu which I know is not allowed, then it should be good to go for reviewing…

2 Likes

Stats from the HTML5 demo after a few days. I posted it on /r/WebGames/ and it got most visitors from there. Everyone should probably be posting HTML5 builds of their games there as a rule.

io

I’m not sure if any demo plays converted to sales yet as there are no meaningful changes to sales based on the release of any of the demo versions so far (and I really have no way of tracking that). But again it’s probably not enough data, not the correct target audience being shown the demo versions currently, and the demo version is probably too generous and not persuasive enough. In the old FS1 the demo version converted strongly. It was content locked and locked to 1 hour play time (and we put a ton of polish into making sure the first hour was as good as possible “the golden hour”). Of course it had differently gameplay and a stronger narrative to drive play forward. I think doing that locking people out would hurt the review score on the mobile stores since people would get locked out eventually and then be upset they can’t play more (while not willing to pay), but it would also convert sales (for those willing to pay and wanting to play more). Still I feel no rush to make these changes for now.

4 Likes

FSH is live on iOS App Store! It only took a day or so to go from submission to approval.

This is supposed to be the link but it isn’t working for me directly, maybe it will take a day to fully work https://apps.apple.com/us/app/faerie-solitaire-harvest/id1478467632

6 Likes

Getting on Mac App Store now… This old post helped. :angel: I already had all of the proper certs downloaded from xcode.

Ran into ITMS-90236 when uploading. Using iConvert Icons app to originally make the icon. I had to do this to reconvert the icon file https://stackoverflow.com/a/30936685 if you still get the error after this make sure that the 2x files are actually in the icon.iconset folder when you do the second step.

But I think you can do it right the first time with this https://blog.charlie.fish/2018/02/09/mac-app-store-icns-error/

It’s probably a good idea to follow the advice here and make the small icons simple instead of auto-generated from large icon but… I don’t expect this to be worth the time as is financially so I’m not doing that. https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/icons-and-images/app-icon/ But maybe for future projects. Apple seems to not really care about Mac App Store, all of their money is in mobile apps.

Another error I had was “unsealed contents present in the root bundle” when signing the app. I moved everything extra into the Resources folder when signing, then moved it back out after signing and it seemed to work.

:tada:

Now to finish store listing and submit for review…

5 Likes