Everlasting Summer (Defold edition)

Thank you for explanation. Now it clearer.

Introduced methods for story telling and actor moving into scene with basic emotions.

game version 0.3

Lua is alike JavaScript - easy to start but powerful enough for complex tasks. Function callbacks provide easy way to manage actors on dialog entries.

1 Like

The link is broken.

Sorry. Fixed link. It same as in beginning, copied here only for convenience.

Implemented basic dialog system and menu for branching dialogs. Provide all poses for actor Slavya and work on day 1 story.

Think how to manage multilanguage support. Maybe translation files?

Yup, I’d put my translations into either a json file or directly into a Lua table in a module and then use another Lua module to do lookups of string values based on device language (read from sys.get_sys_info().device_language). I created a small example to show what I mean:

https://github.com/britzl/publicexamples/tree/master/examples/localization (SOURCE)
http://britzl.github.io/publicexamples/localization/index.html (DEMO)

3 Likes

Thank you. I will look into code.

1 Like

Managed to make first scene behind gates. Actor shown and hidden, moved on screen and scaled.

Text from start to end talked and dialog branched on choice.

Trying to figure out how to handle game objects. I’m create actor with 4 sprites on it and hide it at end of story.

But maybe deleting it will be wiser in future?

Refactored code to lua modules. Now dialog is object-like table in module. This can make easier to introduce new dialogs with new characters.

Improved visual for dialog. Now player can see which character said by looking on icon of actor at right side of dialog.

Next stage is moving to common place scenario/plot and manage to introduce multilingual one.

With external dialog object it can be as easy as change instance. I presume that language can be changed on fly at any time.

One thing to work with - scenario object to hold dialog/scene objects and divide chapters of visual novell to scenes. It will help debug dialogs fast.

game version 0.6

1 Like

Cool! It’s nice to see that you are making steady progress!

Thank you.
I wish to finish my base game “BoomTrix”, but for this I should learn engine thoroughly.
Defold is easy to learn and pretty fast as well. I think, that with help of it BoomTrix can be made in half of year.

Introduced actor highlight when they said something to distinguish them from the crowd.

Found english translation and working on introducing multilingual (english/russian) gameplay.

game on gamejolt (v.0.7)

2 Likes

BTW, how did you implement Russian text display? I’ve tried to use Russian yesterday in my game but couldn’t get Russian letters showing. Any tip?

You need a font that supports Russian and then also add the cyrillic alphabet to “Extra Characters” field in the font properties.

1 Like

@britzl I’ve actually tried that (added a .ttf that definitely has Russian characters) but at least the Editor didn’t show Russian characters, instead it showed tilde characters. I’ll try again tonight. Thanks!

And you also added the characters to “Extra Characters”? It should work, I’m sure of it. Let me know if it doesn’t work. Also, @stormarchitextor, did you do anything else to get russian characters to display? And do you also see them in editor?

I’ve just realized that I haven’t added them as Extra Characters but enabled an option like “export all characters” (can’t remember the actual name). After enabling this option I saw Russian characters in font preview. I thought that it would do the trick.

Let us know if “Extra Characters” solves the problem. I think you are referring to the “all_chars” boolean option, but I don’t know what it does and it’s actually not documented either (@sicher, all_chars, cache_width and cache_height aren’t documented).

Yes, “Extra Characters” worked totally fine, thank you! It looks like a workaround but a reasonable workaround :slight_smile:

BTW, is there some existing easy to use solution/library to support several languages in the app? Maybe, it’s time for me to develop one? :slight_smile: