Editor Scripts 🔥: Alpha Release

Why don’t we support that?
It’s a zip file, and it supports exe files. Do we do something special in the editor to remove executables?
@vlaaad @britzl

4 Likes

We don’t do anything special to prevent using binaries from dependencies, it’s just not possible currently because dependent library is a zip file, and to execute binary we need to extract it first from the archive.

4 Likes

Ah, good point.
Well, so if we’d add a method to write a resource out to disc, one could then execute it.

4 Likes

Feature request:
“add shortcuts (hotkeys) for editor scripts”
Would be useful for scripts that work with nodes transformation (ordering, aligns, transform reset etc).

12 Likes

A little collection of editor scripts for isometric scene:

Grab it here:

This is what I would like hotkeys for.

14 Likes

We need a right click context menu in the viewport. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

as variant, this dramatically reduces a day cursor movement :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also in the text editor with the items from the “Edit” menu.

2 Likes

The one I would love the most to get personally is still editor.get(id, "parent") #2815. It would make quite a lot more stuff possible, a “big bang for the buck” :stuck_out_tongue: .

8 Likes

It would be useful to have a builtin Editor Scripts way to create folders so we don’t have to use actions / other scripts.

2 Likes

I’ve come upon the issue where JDK locks the a file that was opened and closed with Lua io.open() in Editor Scripts which means I can’t delete the touched file until closing the editor or using a file unlocker tool. If I try to delete the file from the editor it shows a dialog but does nothing, if I try to delete it from the OS it warns that JDK is using it.

2 Likes

Edited 22-07-2022: take a look at the upgraded version of the script → Defold Shaders (2021 shader practice / learning edition) - #4 by Pkeod

I use Mali Offline Compiler wrapped into Editor Script to avoid bugs/mistakes, and to test the performance of shaders.

The source code is here: Editor script for Defold IDE. The script adds the menu items "Compile Fragment Shader" and "Compile Vertex Shader" for .fp/.vp files. · GitHub

*Only for Windows. If someone is going to use it, I will add paths to “malioc” for macOS/Linux.

12 Likes

Hi, I’m trying to do the same thing (3 years after :sweat_smile:), creating an empty folder using an editor script function. Did you ever manage to solve it by any chance and have some knowledge to share?
Thank you!