Defold Roadmap for 2020

We don’t know yet. One of the upcoming features to tackle is definitely sound threading. I know that @dapetcu21 mentioned he wanted to take a look at some sound related improvements.

2 Likes

I still intend to, but I have a ton of work on my stack these days so not sure when that will happen.

3 Likes

High level roadmap linked to GitHub issues can be seen here: https://github.com/defold/defold/projects/27#column-8526695

Releases and what goes into each release is here:

We know from experience that there’s little point in planning every release in advance. Things change and we have to adapt and change stuff around when things are brought up by our users. That is why your rarely find more than the current and next release there.

6 Likes

Regarding to Spine as an extension plan, When it replaced with official spine runtime, do we have option to keep using Defold existing spine runtime?

As mentioned by NickChow, The free way to use skeletal animation is by using Dragonbones. Other tools like Blender COA tools also able to write dragonbones.

Since there’s no Dragonbones extension for Defold, hopefully we could still use old Spine runtime to legally run it. Since Spine license cost can be dealbreaker for newcomers :slightly_smiling_face:

thanks!

3 Likes

Our plan is to move our Spine runtime into an extension.
Once that’s done, someone else might port that extension to support the official Spine runtime.

Also, it would open up for our users to develop their own Dragonbones runtime (if that’s a thing?)

3 Likes

Thanks for answer. Glad to hear that :slightly_smiling_face:
That means we will still able to use dragonbones via Defold spine extension (Until dragonbones runtime available for defold, if community develop it)

yeah dragonbones pretty much like spine. it has native runtime for several game engines. but the editor can export to spine as well.
The other nice thing is we can use Adobe Animate CC to export to dragonbones.

So this workflow is possible:
Authoring in Animate CC - export to Dragonbones format - export to spine format

4 Likes

Added some more :white_check_mark: on finished tasks, this time for the Metal/Vulkan support and the iOS Launch Screen support.

6 Likes

Ditto!

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, how are you guys testing new workflows and features in the editor? Is there a alpha channel where users can test even extremely in progress new features for the editor? Feedback for workflows and UI is extremely important.

1 Like

As you may have seen from recent Defold releases very little work is currently done in the editor. The focus has been on engine features and platforms. The Defold Foundation is currently working to secure funds to be able to invest in editor development for Q4 2020.

8 Likes

Added :construction: to indicate tasks that are “In progress”.

I’ve also added Play Asset Delivery as a new feature for Android which we will investigate.

4 Likes

I just read the notes about “allow[ing] developers to build locally or set up their own build servers to cut the dependency to the Defold provided build service” and was wondering if there was any intent to deprecate the Defold build service in the future?

Personally, having had to suffer through the various SDK configs with Unity, Godot, Corona/Solar2D, and GameMaker Studio the single download and zero config build service of Defold is a MASSIVE plus for me - it just save so much time and so many headaches.

I do not see why they would, the intent of the above statement is more about giving devs the security of not needing to rely on the public build servers. Of course running the public build servers is not free and the Defold Foundation does not have unlimited money.

The build servers are meant to be funded by the community, so if they are valuable to you and you want them to stay as a public and free resource for everyone consider sponsoring the project. https://github.com/sponsors/defold

2 Likes

No we have no plans for this. In the FAQ when we announced the none from King we stated:

Q: Will the native extension build servers be shut down?

A: No. We believe the native extension build servers to be such an integral part of the Defold product offering that they should remain available as a free service to our users. And now that the build server source code is available anyone is free to set up and run their own server, either locally or as a public or private server.

5 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @britzl - definitely puts my mind to rest.

1 Like

I wish some hosting provider could give servers for free in exchange for mentioning on Defold websites :innocent:

3 Likes

Multi-texturing would still be super welcome and useful. I’m needing to do some really janky things to get some effects working.

7 Likes

Progress on the roadmap has been steady and precise on the engine front. It’s great!

How are the Editor features progressing?

1 Like

Which editor features are you interested in seeing improved?

The main things I want to see / help get fixed are the stickiness of buttons on Windows, and then big improvements to the 3d viewport. Adding right click context menu to code editor / viewport would be nice. Adding drag and drop for adding gos/collections/components would be useful.

We are currently only doing minor work on the editor (as you’ve probably noticed from recent release notes). We are working on securing funding specifically to work on editor features. The purpose of the Epic Mega Grant is one such example where we’d work on improving the 3D support in both engine and editor.

9 Likes