Defold now has TexturePacker support

I’ve pushed another fix to the dev editor, and to the extension-texturepacker.
If you please would have a test, to verify that it works as intended?

Looks like it’s working properly.

Algorithm: Basic
Trim mode: Polygon outline

Algorithm: MaxRects

Algorithm: Polygon

4 Likes

Thanks!
And it still works ok in the engine?
And regular atlases work well?

3 Likes

seems, yes

8 Likes

Another thing I noticed is that when creating animations in the texture packer atlas in the Defold editor, the name search filter doesn’t work, unlike in the regular atlas. Entering any character will just lose all the results from the list below.

2 Likes

Thanks!
Yeah I noticed that yesterday, and added a ticket here.

2 Likes

These last fixes are now live in the Defold 1.8.0 release. Sorry for the wait!

@AndreasLoew I’ve updated the exporter iutself now with some updates, namely NPOT and Pivot point support. The exporter version is now 1.1.
(The actual implementation of said features will follow.)

2 Likes

:+1: Ok. I’ll update the exporter - it’ll be in the next release.

1 Like

Ok - I’ve just tested the exporter.
I can now set the pivot points but they are not yet written to the file?

@Mathias_Westerdahl I’ve just created a pull request. It contains some minor changes: I’ve renamed the exporter not to contain “Exporter” - to make it more consistent in the TexturePacker UI. I’ve also disabled the Pivot Point Editor in TexturePacker until they are really written to prevent confusion of users.

With this change, your exporter and the one shipped with the next update of TexturePacker will be identical.

2 Likes

Correct, that’s a future update, I just wanted to minimize the number of version updates within the Texture Packer.

I’ve just created a pull request. It contains some minor changes: I’ve renamed the exporter not to contain “Exporter”

Yeah, the naming change is basically for me, as the builtin exporters will take precedence over any custom exporters, so it makes it difficult for me to develop it, I have to rename one of them.
I think your name suggestion is good, I’d just problematic workflow using both builtin exporter and a custom one with the same names :slight_smile:

You can simply delete the defold folder inside TexturePacker’s folder - it’ll use the external one in that case.

Thanks.

Re the writing of the pivot point and version number, I guess I was a little premature there, so I’ll have to update a version number later on anyways, I’ll let you know when we’ve added pivot point support all the way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’ve just updated TexturePacker with the Defold Exporter 1.1 that now also supports Non-Power-Of-Two (NPOT) textures.

9 Likes

I am currently trying to write a tutorial for our webpage. I’ve sofar added the extension and created the .tpatlas file and also the .tpinfo and .png file.

However when I try to set the .tpinfo in the .tpatlas file, I get the following error:

java.lang.AssertionError: Assert failed: No such output, input, or property :lines exists for node 72057594037928142 of type editor.texturepacker/TPInfoNode
In production: #{}
beh

I absolutely have no idea what this means… the popup with the error message appears each time I publish the sprite sheet.

betty

betty.tpinfo.txt (667 Bytes)

Does anybody have an idea what might cause this behaviour?

It seems that I simply can’t select it for the .tpatlas file. The “File” box is always red. Clicking on the .tpinfo file shows the sprite and outline.

@Mathias_Westerdahl is there some way to enable debug output to see what’s going wrong?

1 Like

Hi @AndreasLoew !

Hmm, that error looks a bit strange, I agree.
You can show the log files using “Help → Show Logs”

What versions of the Editor and extension-texturepacker are you using?

It works for me without issue.
I put betty.png and betty.tpinfo into a folder, then created the TexturePacker Atlas with name betty.tpatlas.
In that atlas, I selected betty.tpinfo as the file.
This is what I get:

The error suggests the editor is treating the .tpinfo file as a text file rather than a .tpinfo file. I noticed the file you uploaded has a .tpinfo.txt extension. Do you have “Hide Extensions for Know File Types” enabled in Windows by any chance?

Try removing the .txt file extension and see if that helps!

No - it’s a .tpinfo file in the folder. I just added the .txt extension to upload it here because the forum does not allow uploading files with that extension.

1 Like

After a restart of Defold everything was ok. Looks like it maybe had some issue with activating the extension.

1 Like

I’ve created a short video (9 min) that takes users from clean project to sprite sheet animation in Defold. It explains, how to set things up, install the extension…

12 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. We’ll keep an eye out for more info in the future.